University of Virginia faculty salaries released

<p>Of the six highest paid University employees, three are from the Medical School and one works in the Medical Center. University President Teresa Sullivan&#8217;s $485,000 puts her at the sixth-highest paid employee.</p>

Of the six highest paid University employees, three are from the Medical School and one works in the Medical Center. University President Teresa Sullivan’s $485,000 puts her at the sixth-highest paid employee.

The Cavalier Daily submitted a request through the Virginia Public Records Act for the salaries of University faculty and staff in the 2013-14 fiscal year. Below, see reports from the various divisions and departments. Please note the information used in the articles below was based on salaries at the beginning of the fiscal year, July 1, 2013. A series of raises were implemented later in the year, however.

For salaries effective Sept. 1, 2013, click here to see a database where you can easily search by professor name, department, or salary.

Academic division

The highest paid faculty members are employed at the Law School, Batten School and Engineering School. Former University president and English Prof. John T. Casteen III received a salary of $404,200 — the highest in the College.

View the complete list of academic faculty salaries here.

Administrators and facilities management

The University pledged $162 million to 2,936 employees for the fiscal year starting July 1, 2013, with an average salary of $55,196. The highest paid non-academic position is the CEO of the Medical Center, R. Edward Howell, who makes $618,000. University President Teresa Sullivan received the second largest amount, earning $485,000.

View the complete list of administrator and facilities staff salaries here.

Medical School salaries

Salaries among faculty and administrative personnel at the Medical Center and the University Health System range from a high of $650,000 to a low of $16,200. The salaries reported include those of administrative workers, medical professionals and research staff.

View the complete list of medical staff salaries here.