U.Va. salaries: Medical School, Center employees

Salaries among faculty and administrative personnel at the Medical Center and the University Health System range from a high of $650,000 to a low of $16,200. The salaries reported include those of administrative workers, medical professionals and research staff.

Market and performance-based standards determine employee salaries, health system spokesperson Eric Swensen said.

“When an employee is first hired, their relevant experience is a factor in determining their initial salary,” Swensen said in an email. “In addition, we review compensation for every Medical Center position at least annually to ensure employees are paid fair, competitive salaries that reflect their professionalism and dedication to high-quality care.”

The University executive staff employees receive the highest annual average salary, at $149,500. University operational and administrative staff members have the lowest annual average salary, at $36,267.

The highest paid employee, Prof. Steven DeKosky, works in the administration department in the Medical School, with an annual salary of $650,000 for the vice president and dean of the school. However, the lowest salary in this department is $41,045 for an administrative office specialist, Dr. Dorothy Mahanes.

The lowest annual salary is in the Biochemical and Molecular Genetics department at $16,200 a year for Dr. Margaret Lindorfer, an assistant professor. This highest annual salary in this department is that of a professor — Dr. Anindya Dutta — at $310,000.

Most of the disparity in the annual salaries comes from the different jobs each hold in the departments, though experience also plays a role, Swensen said.

“In general, these differences within Medical Center departments reflect differences in experience, years as an employee at the Medical Center, and their job responsibilities as well as our annual review of salaries for similar jobs at other organizations,” Swensen said.

Of the practicing medical doctors, the highest annual salary is in the Surgery Administration Department, at $561,100 per year for Dr. Irving Kron. The lowest paid employee in that department is $18,522 for administrative assistant Jeffrey Schlatter.

“U.Va.[’s] Medical Center is market driven and performance-based,” Swensen said. “Annual raises are determined the same way. An employee’s relevant experience is one factor in determining their initial salary.”

Correction: an earlier version of this article incorrectly identified Jeffrey Schlatter as a doctor.