Alderman Library to install new security system

"We have quite a few people in the building after it had closed," Wittenborg says

A new security system will be installed at Alderman Library and take effect after finals. In addition to existing measures, an alarm will be added to go off whenever someone enters or exits the building after hours.

Alderman Library is currently open from 8 a.m. until midnight on weekdays. Dean of Libraries Karin Wittenborg said Alderman has many spaces for students to hide after hours.

“The bottom line is we have had quite a few people in the building after it had closed because it is easy to hide out in Alderman,” Wittenborg said.

Wittenborg said students have been seen leaving at late hours on security cameras at the entrance of Alderman, causing some concern for the safety of students.

“In a building this large and this complex, having people in here after hours is a real safety hazard — they could fall, all [kinds] of things could happen,” Wittenborg said.

With alarms that go off when a student leaves after hours, she hopes such safety issues will be prevented.

“We love the fact that students love the library, but we want them to be safe here,” she said.