No. 4 rowing wins nine of 12 in ACC/Big Ten Challenge

Virginia posts strong showing against top-10 opponents

The No. 4 Virginia women’s rowing team competed in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge this weekend on Belleville Lake, winning nine of 12 races against No. 10 Michigan and No. 3 Ohio State.

The Cavaliers took five of six races from the host Wolverines to open the meet, claiming victories in the Second Varsity Eight, Varsity Four, Second Varsity Four, Third Varsity Four and Third Varsity Eight/Novice Eight. Virginia suffered its sole loss at Varsity Eight, where the crew from Charlottesville fell by just 1.5 seconds, 6:25.7-6:27.2.

Against Ohio State, the Cavaliers claimed the Varsity Four race by 7.4 seconds and the Second Varsity Four by 3.4 seconds, followed by wins in the Third Varsity Four and Third Varsity Eight/Novice Eight. However, the defending NCAA champion Buckeyes prevailed in the last two races of the day — at Varsity Eight (6:21.3-6:25.91) and Second Varsity Eight (6:32.9-6:42.17).

Virginia returns to the water next weekend at Lake Monticello, hosting the U.Va. Invitational. In the morning, the Cavaliers will face yet another Big Ten crew — Michigan State — followed by No. 18 Syracuse in the afternoon. Because this is the year’s last competition in the Charlottesville area, the team will hold a ceremony to honor the seniors during the meet.