University Hospital makes top 100 list

"Becker's Hospital Review" names U.Va. Hospital among top 100 in the country

<p>The University hospital was named on &#8220;Becker&#8217;s Hospital Review&#8221; as one of the best 100 hospitals in the country twice in the last three years, among other awards.</p>

The University hospital was named on “Becker’s Hospital Review” as one of the best 100 hospitals in the country twice in the last three years, among other awards.

Becker’s Hospital Review, a national health care publication, awarded the University hospital a place on its list of the “100 Great Hospitals in America” for 2014.

Becker’s, which publishes monthly trade magazines for health care professionals, released the list late last month. The list includes 100 hospitals listed alphabetically which, according to Becker’s website, have “a rich history, strong credentials and a growing focus on how to best care for patients in an era of reform.”

Hospital spokesperson Eric Swensen said the award is a testament to the hard work of hospital employees.

“This award reflects the dedication of our entire team at U.Va. Medical Center to providing the highest-quality patient care and service,” Swensen said in an email. “We’re honored to be on this list with excellent, well-regarded hospitals from across the country.”

Specifically, Swensen praised the hospital’s cancer center, which was included in Becker’s “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs” last year.

“The publication highlighted the U.Va. Cancer Center,” Swensen said. “[It] also cited our recognition by U.S. News & World Report, which featured 10 of our specialties in their 2013-2014 ‘Best Hospitals’ guide.”

This is not the first time the University hospital has been recognized for outstanding performance. Hospitals & Health Networks magazine has given the hospital its “Most Wired” award for its beneficial use of technology for the past two years. Best Doctors, Inc. recently included 181 doctors at the hospital on its “Best Doctors in America” list, and in the 2014-15 U.S. News & World Report guide of “Best Graduate Schools”, the University’s Medical School was ranked 26th for research and 29th for primary care.

This is the second time in three years that hospital has been included in Becker’s “100 Great Hospitals” list.