Cross country posts encouraging results at UVa Duals

With starters resting to begin year, Marsella, Wynne and Grice step up

spvirginiacupccmbronfin

Sophomore Mike Marsella finished in first place at Friday’s UVa Duals. The Cavalier men had three of the top four finishers in the 4K race at Panorama Falls. Sophomore Brooke Grice placed 14th for the women’s team.

Virginia cross country opened its season Friday with the UVa Duals at Panorama Farms. Both the men’s and women’s teams rested their starters for this early-year four-kilometer race, giving young up-and-comers a chance to shine.

The 14th-ranked Cavalier men went 4-0 against No. 24 Florida State, Duke, Liberty and Norfolk State. Sophomore Mike Marsella won the race and fellow sophomore Henry Wynne took second.

Juniors Ed Schrom, Jack St. Marie and Zach Herriott completed the scoring five for Virginia.

The No. 10 Cavalier women finished the meet 3-2. They defeated James Madison, the Flames and the Spartans while falling to the third-ranked Seminoles and the Blue Devils.

Sophomore Brooke Grice led Virginia with a 14th-place finish. Junior Audrey Batzel, sophomore Shannon Malone, graduate student Kathleen Stevens and sophomore Kendall Cowne rounded out the Cavaliers’ top five.

Virginia takes most of September off from competition before hosting the Virginia/Panorama Farms Invitational on September 26.

Published September 1, 2014 in Sports