Sen. Deeds discusses mental health with students

TWLOHA hosts Deeds talk as part of suicide prevention week

Sen. Creigh Deeds, D-Charlottesville, visited the University Monday to discuss mental health care reform, emphasizing the efforts students can make to support their peers and their community in issues of mental health.

Deeds’ advocacy comes in light of the events of November 2013, when the Senator was critically injured after being stabbed multiple times by his son. Deeds’ son, Austin “Gus” Deeds, was pronounced dead at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Shortly before the stabbing, Gus underwent an emergency mental health evaluation, but was released from Bath Community Hospital due to a lack of psychiatric beds.

Nearby hospitals later confirmed they had beds available and could have admitted Gus had they received a request.

This experience now a part of his overall narrative, Deeds has since pursued an agenda aimed at reforming the state’s mental health system and promoting awareness about mental health issues.

“Here’s the thing about politics,” Deeds said. “Politicians respond to the primary issues that drive their voters. Politicians talk about jobs, economic development, education, transportation and public safety — but mental health is tough.”

Deeds said he understands the stressors college students experience, and encouraged audience members to reach out to those who may need help in the University community.

“Every interaction you have, you have to consider who that person is and where that person is,” Deeds said. “You have to take care of each other. You have a role to play.”

Tim Davis, the director of University Counseling and Psychological Services, agreed with Deeds on this point. Davis said students need to realize the people who need help often do not self-identify.

“Don’t underestimate the power that you have in your individual relationships with one another every day to make a difference,” Davis said. “That’s actually where the action is in making a difference.”

College students are prone to many different types of stress, Deeds said, adding that it is imperative students openly discuss their problems and listen to others to maintain connections and trust.

“The key thing that U.Va. students can do is to take care of themselves and take care of everyone else,” Deeds said. “There’s stress in every direction.”

Deeds’ presentation was sponsored by the University chapter of To Write Love on Her Arms, a Contracted Independent Organization dedicated to creating a community of openness and acceptance for those who have struggled with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.

Though issues surrounding mental health and suicide are always present, Davis said it is still early in the semester for many of the more serious issues to develop.

“It takes a little bit longer for the pressures and stress to manifest,” Davis said. “People are still getting settled in and in the honeymoon period of coming to Grounds for the first time and being back.”

Davis said CAPS plans to ramp up programs alongside student groups such as TWLOHA in the coming months.