Same-sex marriage legal in Virginia as Supreme Court declines to review cases

Herring, McAuliffe express support for decision

Same-sex marriage was legalized in Virginia and four other states Monday morning, as the Supreme Court rejected petitions to review same-sex marriage cases. The decision upheld a Fourth Circuit Court ruling determined earlier this year.

The decision immediately affected Virginia, Indiana, Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Utah. Six other states — located in the jurisdictions where these decisions were upheld — are expected to follow suit, bringing the total number of states which allow same-sex marriage to 30.

The first marriage licenses for same-sex couples were issued at 1 p.m., just hours after the Supreme Court’s decision was made.

“All Virginians have the constitutional right to be treated fairly and equally, to have loving, committed relationships recognized and respected and to enjoy the blessings of married life,” Attorney General Mark Herring said in a press release.

The Supreme Court’s refusal to review the cases came as a surprise to many marriage equality advocacy groups in Virginia and across the country.

James Parrish, executive director of Equality Virginia, said members of his organization were extremely satisfied with the outcome.

“Equality Virginia is overjoyed that loving lesbian and gay couples can now marry the person they love in the place they call home," Parrish said. "After decades of work to change hearts and minds, the freedom to marry is now a reality.”

Gov. Terry McAuliffe said in a statement that the government of Virginia would “act quickly to continue to bring all of our policies and practices into compliance so that we can give marriages between same-sex partners the full faith and credit they deserve.”

“Equality for all men and women regardless of their race, color, creed or sexual orientation is intrinsic to the values that make us Virginians, and now it is officially inscribed in our laws as well,” he said in a press release.

Virginia House of Delegates Speaker William Howell opposes same-sex marriage. In a press release, he criticized the court for not defending the voices of Virginia voters.

“I am a strong supporter of traditional marriage,” Howell said in a press release. “There are many Virginians who agree with me and some who do not. Regardless of how one feels about marriage, we should all agree that Virginians deserve to have their voices heard and votes vigorously defended in Court. That did not happen in this case.”

Herring vowed to continue to support and fight for gay marriage rights across the commonwealth.

“We will continue to fight discrimination wherever we find it, but today, we celebrate a moment when we move closer to fulfilling the promise of equality ignited centuries ago in Virginia, and so central to the American experience,” he said.