Law School notched No. 7 in ranking using student feedback

Schools gets high marks in education quality and faculty accessibility

Education publication Graduate Programs released its 2014 list of the top 50 law schools in the nation, with the University Law School placing seventh.

The rankings are determined solely by ratings and reviews of current students and recent graduates of the law programs. Data for this most recent survey was gathered between September 2012 and September 2014.

Each program or school was ranked according to 15 different categories, including academic competitiveness, campus safety, social life and work load. Beyond academics, rankings also considered environmental aspects of the programs.

The University’s law program scored between Stanford and University of California-Berkeley.

The University rated highest in education quality and faculty accessibility. In these categories, the law program scored nearly 10 out of 10 stars. The poorest scores were financial aid, student diversity and transportation, with 7 stars in each.

University Law School spokesperson Mary Wood said rankings such as this one are not the center of attention for the program.

“We do not focus on year-to-year fluctuations in rankings, but instead on constantly improving the quality of teaching, research and service in the Law School,” Wood said.

U.S. News ranks the Law School eighth in the nation. That list is compiled by representatives of the schools filling out a statistical survey, which differs from the Graduate Programs survey in that it does not rely on reviews from current and former students of the program.