Breaking my silence

I’ve kept a secret for a while, and it’s time to finally squeak my truth

<p>Cecy Juárez was a Life Columnist for The Cavalier Daily.</p>

Cecy Juárez was a Life Columnist for The Cavalier Daily.

It's time to be real. I'm afraid I've been keeping a secret from you for a long time, and the moment to come forward has finally arrived. I’ve always advocated for honesty and transparency, so it’s only fair that I stick to these values for the sake of the students at this University and the readers of The Cavalier Daily. I, Cecy Juárez, am one of the three “squirrels of U.Va.” running the @thesquirrelsofuva page.

If you’re not familiar with the account, you should be. The Instagram account, @thesquirrelsofuva, was founded in 2017 by a student who wanted to show appreciation for the furry little creatures that bring life to Grounds. The account invites members of the University community to submit photos and videos of squirrels doing their silly antics. Since then, the account has amassed over 5,000 dedicated followers of the University squirrels.

I first became aware of the account before becoming a student here. My older sister’s roommates, Ellen and Liz, ran the account for a few years. I loved the page — it was full of hilarious posts about these cute little rodents that seem to run the show here on Grounds. Even before I started classes, I felt like I was already a part of the University community by keeping up with the squirrels.

Then, an opportunity arose during my second year — the graduating account moderators sent out applications to take their place. As fast as my fingers could type, I applied for a position — and got it. I, alongside two other students, ran the account in an unspoken oath of secrecy. In the style of my favorite artist, Taylor Swift, I thought that I would leave an easter egg of sorts in a previous column to foreshadow this reveal.

Since then, I’ve been a squirreller. A squirrel girl. A squirrely girly. There isn’t an official term for the position, but the point is, I’ve been one of the students running the nano-influencer account for two years. We accept submissions of squirrel footage from anyone and post the best submissions we receive for our wonderful followers. While I’m passionate about the fluffy-tailed rodents roaming Grounds just as much as the next person, I think I’ve found a greater love through this account — strangers.

The Instagram account accepts direct messages from anyone. Anyone can submit photos or videos and share their thoughts. Although most of the submissions are from current University students, I don’t recognize many of the people who submit. Every day, I receive messages from total strangers with squirrel pictures, and it’s my favorite thing in the world. I never expected to feel so delighted messaging a stranger about a squirrel crawling into their dorm microwave

Even the students with whom I share the account used to be total strangers. But now, we’re secret friends. Who knew a track athlete, an architecture major and a Commerce student would have something in common — a love for our squirrel account? Shoutout to Reagan and Emily for being such awesome co-moderators!

I won’t get to know every single follower, and that’s okay. What matters is that these little interactions have taught me the value of connections. Connecting with strangers for brief moments over Instagram has enabled me to more greatly appreciate the meaning of community — to have a shared love for something and bond over it, even for a moment. 

You don’t always have to create permanent connections with everyone to appreciate the world around you. Just because something is temporary doesn’t make it any less important, and temporary connections with other people are what has made my college career worth living.

Life isn’t exciting or meaningful until you make it so. Your everyday life can be so much better if you allow yourself to open your eyes and be willing to chat at least for a moment with another person. Sometimes, all you need to brighten your day is a picture of a squirrel from a stranger. 

I won’t be running the account after I graduate, but I hope to carry these lessons with me moving forward. I hope to remain open to new ways in which I can connect with my communities and appreciate how a stranger’s conversation can add meaning to my life. 

I’ll miss running the squirrels account, and I’ll miss the University even more once I graduate. But I will always cherish the time I have been given here, the people who have been a part of my University career and the squirrels of U.Va.

Cecy Juárez is a Life Columnist for The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at life@cavalierdaily.com.