Love Connection: Oscar and Hoa

Blind date turned high school reunion

<p>Oscar was surprised when his blind date turned out to be Hoa, a friend he has had a crush on since high school. </p>

Oscar was surprised when his blind date turned out to be Hoa, a friend he has had a crush on since high school. 

Oscar

Year: Fourth

Major: Economics

Hometown: Richmond

Ideal Date Personality: The effervescence of Jennifer Lawrence after acquiring Emma Watson’s wit and Amy Poehler’s humor.

Ideal Date Activity: One-on-one basketball, followed by 18 holes of golf, followed by dinner and a movie.

Deal breakers? Unappreciative, full of complaints, a Chelsea fan.

Hobbies: Camping, building things, investing, making music, gaming.

What makes you a good catch? One word: synergy.

What's your favorite pick-up line? When your legs don’t work like they used to before, and I can’t sweep you off of your feet, will your eyes still smile from your cheeks?

Describe yourself in one sentence: I like to keep things simple, yet pay acute attention to the details.

Hoa

Year: Fourth

Major: Biomedical Engineering

U.Va. Involvement: Resident Advisor, Alpha Omega Epsilon, Orientation Leader, Engineering Student Council.

Hometown: Richmond

Ideal Date: Tall, fit, nice hair with good flow.

Ideal Date Personality: Good sense of humor, smart, doesn’t take themselves too seriously.

Ideal Date Activity: Dinner or drinks at a venue with live music.

Deal breakers? Close-minded, arrogant, cigarette smokers. He must like Taylor Swift.

Hobbies: Catching up with friends, being outside, going to art galleries.

What makes you a good catch? I’m used to coverage, so I can stay up all night.

What makes you a less-than-perfect catch? I’m used to coverage, so I can watch you all night while you sleep.

What's your favorite pick-up line? You must be my MCAT score because I’m smart enough to do better, but too tired to try.

Describe yourself in one sentence: I’m Hoa — like wahoowa.

Oscar and Hoa met at Old Cabell at 3 p.m. and went to Mellow Mushroom on the Corner.

Hoa: The Love Connection articles are always so funny to read, so I signed up because it would be hilarious to see how the experience turned out.

Oscar: [I signed up for Love Connection because] I’m a fourth year in my graduating semester, and honestly, have been starting to see the horizon lately.

Hoa: I was surprised [when I got picked] since I sent in the survey last semester. The first people I told were my residents. They were the ones who filled out the survey for me.

Oscar: I was ecstatic and jumpy [when I found out]. I would liken the feeling to winning the lottery or opening a med school acceptance letter. Okay, a bit of hyperbole, but while I do hate surprises and having to form expectations [based] off of virtually nothing, I was looking forward to it.

Hoa: I’ve never been on a blind date and really had no expectations coming in.

Oscar: This was my first time on a blind date. My expectations were neutral — just to meet someone new and get to know them a little bit. I will say, though, that once these things get into motion, it’s not as simple as a finger gesture on your smartphone to [get] rid of them.

Hoa: I was running a little late by the time I got there. With Old Cabell under construction, I couldn’t tell if anyone was there at first.

Oscar: I was waiting under the scaffolding, which by the way is probably one of the least romantic meeting places around, and then I see Hoa coming towards me. My heart started pounding intensely. You see, Hoa and I went to high school together.

Hoa: I immediately laughed at the whole situation. Oscar is someone I have known since high school, so it definitely wasn’t a blind date. We had actually planned on getting brunch over break, but I wasn’t able to make it.

Oscar: I’ve actually had a crush on her for six, nay, nearly eight years, but after being [put] into separate castes by the E-School and the College, it’s been difficult to initiate things. I know I sound like a hopeless romantic, but I had been yearning for the moment when Hoa and I would go out on a date for a long time.

Hoa: 3 p.m. is an awkward time to grab food, but we both had the same idea of going somewhere to watch the basketball game. We ended up going to Mellow.

Oscar: The conversation throughout was like water on a river flowing downstream – hit a few bumps and bends along the way, but ultimately gravity, or talking about interesting topics and life, prevailed.

Hoa: It was a pretty easy conversation, since we’ve both known each other for a while now. We talked a good amount about how it was going to be weird graduating and our upcoming rushes next week.

Oscar: I would gaze into her deep, brown eyes which led me to feel a connection that I haven’t ever felt before on a first date. The chemistry between us was as real as the barbeque chicken pizza brought out to us and the phenomenal record of the men’s basketball team. She knew I would like barbeque pizza before opening the menu. It was an amazing feeling.

Hoa: [We’re] definitely friends. It was nice catching up with him.

Oscar: We have some mutual friends and we’re planning on doing a high school reunion with the other people who go here, so we’ll probably hang out again.

Hoa: [After the date] we were heading in the same direction back to dorms. I wanted to see if one of our RA friends was home. I insisted on splitting the bill, but he paid for it.

Oscar: Relationships and intimacy don’t happen overnight. There will be a future between us whether we remain friends or something more. My date was a beautiful, charming and down-to-earth woman.

Hoa: [I’m] not sure if you can really call it a date, since it was just two old friends hanging out. I [would rate it] a 6 or 7. The highlight was our boys winning against Boston College and still being undefeated. I’d give a 10 for that.

Oscar: [I’d rate it an] 8 out of 10. It was an enjoyable and memorable date. Not like anything I expected, since the blind date became something short of a dream come true.

Want to be featured on the Love Connection? Now is the best time to apply! Click here to fill out our survey and send it in.