​Virginia Senate to consider marijuana decriminalization

Legislature also to consider bill on marijuana oils

State Sen. Adam Ebbin, D-Alexandria, proposed a bill Thursday to decriminalize possession of small amounts of marijuana in Virginia.

Currently, the consequence for a first time-offender carrying less than half an ounce of marijuana in Virginia can include a 30-day jail sentence, a $500 fine and a misdemeanor charge. Ebbin’s proposal, S.B. 686, would lessen the offense to a civil charge with a $100 fine.

According to the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML, more than 15 states have decriminalized marijuana possession, eliminating jail time and criminal charges for first-time offenders.

Ebbin said it is a waste of resources to arrest people for small amounts of marijuana.

"Decriminalization is important because we waste over $67 million a year to make criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens," Ebbin said. “States that have decriminalized marijuana instantly saved tens of millions of dollars in enforcement costs by simply not arresting non-violent citizens for marijuana possession.”

Though this issue has never been brought to the Senate floor for discussion, the measure is typically not supported by Republicans, who are the majority.

In 2000, Del. Harvey B. Morgan, R-Middlesex, introduced similar legislation, though there is no companion bill being currently being debated in the House.

House Speaker William Howell, R-Stafford, does not support legislation decriminalizing pot usage.

“Speaker Howell does not support decriminalizing recreational marijuana use,” Howell spokesman Paul Logan said. “He supports House Bill 1445, which allows a person to possess marijuana for the treatment of the person's epilepsy, with a valid recommendation from a medical doctor.”

Also Thursday, the Senate Education and Health Committee considered a bill to legalize oils extracted from marijuana leaves, which are used to treat epileptic patients.

In November, Washington, DC residents voted to legalize marijuana possession. The effort was later blocked by Congress as deal to fund the federal government.

Ebbin’s bill would not legalize marijuana possession, but merely lessen the consequences of those caught with small amounts.

“Prohibition of marijuana has failed,” Ebbin said. “The fear of a plant should not be legislated into our criminal code.”

Ebbin said the bill is scheduled to be heard in the Courts of Justice committee.