NFL Draft Hopefuls Impress at Virginia Pro Day

Eli Harold's Draft Stock Continues to Rise Following Another Strong Outing

Eighteen alumni of Virginia football participated in the team’s Pro Timing Day on Monday morning. There, 34 scouts representing all 32 NFL teams made evaluations that will ultimately factor into the professional aspirations of those assembled.

“Today was very big,” wide receiver Darius Jennings said. “It’s your first job interview.”

Two prospects — Eli Harold and Max Valles — garnered the lion’s share of the attention and rightfully so. The two stalwarts of the Cavaliers’ 2014 defense participated in the 2015 NFL Draft Combine and are locks to be drafted.

Harold continued to exhibit the athletic ability which has made him a late-first to early-second round prospect. The Ocean Lakes High School alumni cleared 34.5’ in the vertical jump and recorded 24 repetitions of the 225-pound bench press — the most of any Cavaliers on Monday.

He also excelled in the positional drills — showcasing his quick feet and aggression. A 4-3 defensive end at Virginia, Harold worked out with the linebackers as well.

“I tried to show everyone that I could do more than run in a straight line” Harold said. “The scouts have been asking me if I feel more comfortable as a [defensive] end or as a [linebacker]. I feel more versatile standing up [as a linebacker].”

Should Harold move to an outside linebacker he will need to improve his pass coverage skills — something he is already working on.

“I’ve been working with NFL [defensive backs] doing DB drills” he said. “It all felt natural once I got to the Combine.

“Everything I do to get better makes me see a million dollars. I’m going to do whatever I can to go get it. The sky’s the limit.”

Valles, on the other hand, failed to make the most of the opportunity. The Sicklerville, N.J. could only match his Combine vertical of 36.5’, which was the 12-best mark in a field of 17 interior linebackers at the Combine. His 117’ broad jump was four inches shorter than his best effort in Indianapolis a week ago.

“I never realized the [40-yard dash] was all about technique” Valles said. “My 40 time doesn’t define how fast I am.”

He also struggled in the position drills. Valles lost his footing several times, and on the whole did not display elite footwork.

“I’m more of a ‘go out there and play’ kind of guy’” he said.

Still, Valles does not second guess his decision to declare early.

“I had a great season last year, and I felt like it was a good time” he said. “I’m a young guy, I’m only 20, and I think I can play a long time. I’m only going to get better.”

Monday only helped running back Kevin Parks’ chances of making an NFL team. The fifth-leading rusher in program history measured in at a diminutive 5’6” without shoes, but recorded a 39.5’ standing vertical. Parks also showcased his strength with 21 repetitions on the bench press.

“I fed off the energy of the guys in there” he said. “That’s the kind of thing we do during the regular season.”

Parks has spent the month-and-a-half training in Tampa, Fla., where he improved his jump by over seven inches.

Wideout Darius Jennings put up impressive numbers. He had a team-best 4.4 40-yard dash and a 37’ vertical. The Baltimore, Mar. native also performed well in the agility drills and did not drop a pass.

“I feel like I ran well, but I could have done better” Jennings said. “I’m a perfectionist, but I still think today was pretty productive.”

Safety Anthony Harris, one of three Virginia athletes projected to be taken in the Draft, did not participate as he recovers from an injury.

2014 graduate Tim Smith electrified the entire weight room with his 41’ vertical.

For Draft hopefuls, the next two months will be jam-packed with individual workouts and meetings with NFL franchises. If they are lucky, their names will be called between April 30 and May 2.

“You’ve got to keep fighting each and every day” Parks said. “You never know, so just keep your head down and grind.”