Virginia Tech sweeps No. 1 Virginia in weekend series

<p>Sophomore shortstop Daniel Pinero swatted his fourth home run of the year Sunday with the wind blowing out at English Field. </p>

Sophomore shortstop Daniel Pinero swatted his fourth home run of the year Sunday with the wind blowing out at English Field. 

Top-ranked Virginia baseball dropped all three games of a weekend road series against Virginia Tech.

Hokie senior Sean Keselica outdueled junior Nathan Kirby in Friday’s contest, as Virginia Tech (10-9, 4-2 ACC) eked out a 2-1 series-opening victory.

Keselica allowed one unearned run on four hits in a complete game effort. Kirby threw 7.1 innings of one-run ball while allowing five hits and four walks and striking out six.

The Cavaliers (12-5, 2-4 ACC) scored their only run on a RBI single by sophomore catcher Matt Thaiss in the opening frame, which scored freshman first baseman Pavin Smith.

Late-inning drama characterized the game. Virginia coach Brian O’Connor was ejected in the eighth inning while arguing a batter’s interference call. O’Connor made accidental contact with home-plate umpire Craig Barron and received a mandatory four-game suspension.

An error and two walks, one intentional, loaded the bases with Hokies with one out in the bottom of the ninth. After entering the game for sophomore Jack Roberts, junior Josh Sborz walked senior first baseman Brendon Hayden on four pitches to force home the game-winning run.

The Cavalier offense sputtered yet again in Saturday’s 3-1 loss. The Virginia bats tallied nine hits but stranded 11 runners on base.

Sophomore Connor Jones took the mound for the Cavaliers. He surrendered three runs on seven hits and five walks in 5.2 innings en route to his first loss of the season.

Again, Virginia jumped out to an early lead. Freshman right fielder Adam Haseley led off the frame with a single—one of his three hits on the day—and advanced to third following a passed ball and sacrifice fly. Hasely reached home on a groundout by Smith.

Virginia Tech tied the game in the third and scored two runs in the fourth on the strength of four consecutive hits. Sophomore shortstop Ricky Surum’s infield single drove home senior right fielder Kyle Wernicki and sophomore left fielder Miguel Ceballos walked to force in a run.

The Cavaliers were not without chances in the later part of the game. Virginia loaded the bases with two outs in the seventh, but sophomore shortstop Daniel Pinero could muster only a weak pop fly.

With their backs against the wall, the Cavaliers loaded the bases once more in the ninth inning. Sophomore Luke Scherzer got a third strike past Smith to end the threat and the game.

Virginia’s bats woke up for Sunday’s finale, but the Hokies relied on more late-game magic to pull out a 6-5 victory.

Junior Brandon Waddell started and threw six innings of four-run ball—only three were earned. Virginia Tech tagged Waddell for six hits, but the Houston native did fan six.

The Cavaliers pulled ahead in the fifth inning on a two-run home run by Pinero, his fourth of the season. A stiff wind blowing out significantly shortened the walls at English Field.

The Hokies countered with three in fifth, but a double by junior designated hitter Kevin Doherty knotted the game again in the sixth.

Virginia Tech pulled ahead for good in the eight on a wind-aided homer by senior second baseman Alex Perez.

Virginia looks to return to its winning ways this Tuesday against Towson. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.