Men’s golf places 4th in weekend tournament

The No. 22 Virginia men’s golf team used a 14-under final round to finish fourth overall at the Hootie @Bulls Bay Intercollegiate in Awendaw, South Carolina. The Cavaliers finished 12-under on the tournament, marking the fourth time in the 2015 season that they have shot at least 12-under.

The Cavaliers were led by sophomore Derek Bard, who finished fifth overall with a 7-under 209. This finish was largely fueled by a phenomenal final round Tuesday, where the sophomore shot a 6-under 66. Bard has finished in the top-10 five times in his nine tournaments this year.

Virginia had three other golfers finish in the top-50 at the tournament. Senior Denny McCarthy placed in 22nd, with a full tournament score of 1-over 215. Sophomore counterpart Jimmy Stanger finished at 2-over par to come in at 29th. To round out the crew, freshman Danny Walker shot a 4-under 68 Tuesday to finish in 50th overall.

No. 5 South Carolina came in first in the 15-team field with its 26-under 838. The Gamecocks used an impressive performance from junior Matt NeSmith, who tied for first in the tournament with a full tournament score of 11-under par.

Virginia will not compete again until April 18, when it travels north to play in the Yale Intercollegiate.