Women’s tennis defeats NC State, Virginia Tech in last home matches

<p>Junior Stephanie Nauta was the first off the court in singles Sunday against NC State. She topped Wolfpack senior Nicole Martinez 6-2, 6-0 on court No. 3. </p>

Junior Stephanie Nauta was the first off the court in singles Sunday against NC State. She topped Wolfpack senior Nicole Martinez 6-2, 6-0 on court No. 3.

The No. 12 Virginia women’s tennis team closed out its regular season Sunday with a 7-0 win at home against NC State.

The Cavaliers (18-5, 11-3 ACC) first took down archrival Virginia Tech 5-2 Saturday at Snyder Tennis Center. With the win, Virginia claimed a point in the Commonwealth Cup, giving the Cavaliers an 11-7 lead this school year. Virginia only needs one more point to secure the Cup in 2014-15.

In the Virginia Tech match, Virginia came back to take the doubles point. The Hokies (14-8, 6-7 ACC) won first on court two, but Cavalier juniors Danielle Collins and Stephanie Nauta won on court one and juniors Maci Epstein and Julia Elbaba won on court three to secure the point. In singles, Epstein, Collins, junior Skylar Morton and freshman Cassie Mercer all recorded wins.

Sunday against NC State, Virginia once again jumped out to an early lead by grabbing the doubles point. The Cavaliers followed up their doubles performance with an impressive singles display as all six Virginia players won convincingly.

Virginia will be competing in the ACC Women’s Tennis Championship starting Friday in Cary, North Carolina. The team will look to defend its title after winning its first ACC championship last year.