Sullivan's contract renewed until 2018

Successor may start new term in 2017

The University Board of Visitors approved an extension Tuesday of University President Teresa Sullivan’s contract, which is currently set to expire July 31, 2016. The decision was announced following a special meeting held at the Special Collections Library, where the Board voted unanimously, with one abstention by board member Helen Dragas.

Sullivan, who took office in 2010 as the University’s eighth, and first female president, will serve in the position until July 31, 2018.

According to a provision in the approved contract, a Board-appointed successor may begin their new term as early as Nov. 1, 2017. However, in the case the Board does not select a successor before the end of Sullivan’s term, or the selected successor is unable to begin their new term on Aug. 1, 2018, Sullivan’s term may be extended to May 31, 2019.

“When I came to the University, I promised the search committee I’d stay seven to 10 years,” Sullivan said. “I feel when I’ve completed seven years, I will have held up my end of the bargain. I am fortunate that I have a lot of vigor and stamina right now. I can’t predict that will last forever.”

University spokesperson Matthew Charles said this provision would allow the Board the flexibility to conduct a thorough search for the next University President. The board also approved a $15,000 salary increase for the fiscal year that ends next month and agreed to raise Sullivan’s current salary of $674,000 by $25,000 starting in August.

“President Sullivan has been and will continue to be a force for positive change that benefits the University of Virginia,” Rector George Keith Martin said. “Her successes are many, from strategic vision to academic quality to enhancements to the exceptional student experience. President Sullivan leads with integrity and determination.”

During her time as University President, Sullivan has worked to enhance the University’s position as a leader in public higher education, primarily through the five-year Cornerstone Plan — an effort which has gathered input from more than 10,000 alumni, students, faculty, staff, parents and others.

“President Sullivan and her leadership team have made important strides in advancing the mission of the University of Virginia,” Vice Rector William H. Goodwin Jr. said. “The board looks forward to working with her as we approach the University’s bicentennial celebration.”

Sullivan has also been credited with the recruiting and hiring of new faculty and top administrators, including all three executive vice presidents and several academic deans, as well as the successful reorganization of the University’s Health System.

“The University of Virginia is poised to make important advances leading up to its bicentennial,” Sullivan said. “As we pursue our goals and aspirations, we will continue to ensure that U.Va. provides a superior education that is accessible and affordable to excellent students regardless of their background. I am very grateful for the opportunity to continue to lead this remarkable institution.”

Sullivan will be named University Professor and President Emerita at the conclusion of her contract and term.