The Jefferson Theater’s best shows of the semester

A trio of concerts on the Downtown Mall as remembered by our staff

Charlottesville’s music scene is a busy one, and this past semester proved to be no exception to this rhythmic rule. From indie powerhouses to folk favorites, downtown swelled with a wide variety of talent and style across its handful of unique and beloved venues. Here are three unforgettable shows at the storied Jefferson Theater, as recollected by three show-going Arts & Entertainment staffers.

Jessica Hernandez & the Deltas

March 19

On March 19, J. Roddy Walston & The Business brought their aggressive approach to hard rock to the Jefferson Theater. However, despite the band’s solid display, opening band Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas effectively stole the show.

With a musically-talented band playing behind her, Detroit native Jessica Hernandez showcased her style of Motown-influenced rock music which effortlessly combined the soul of Amy Winehouse with equal parts grunge and rock n’ roll. She performed a handful of songs from her 2014 debut album “Secret Evil,” ranging from the impassioned rock song “Caught Up” to the sobering ballad “Cry Cry Cry.” Combining her superb vocal talents with a mesmerizing stage presence, Hernandez delivered an enthralling performance to the Charlottesville crowd.

Jessica Hernandez & The Deltas will be returning to Charlottesville June 11 to play at The Southern Café & Music Hall.

— Dixon White

Rhiannon Giddens

April 8

Rhiannon Giddens proved that she is a force to be reckoned with when she performed at the Jefferson this April, showcasing her powerhouse vocals and ability to play several instruments. The North Carolina-based country-blues musician, who previously performed with the Carolina Chocolate Drops, came to Charlottesville to promote her new album “Tomorrow is My Turn,” and charmed the audience by belting out songs that ranged from classic country tunes to gospel numbers. Opening act Bhi Bhiman also played an intimate, yet powerful set to kick off the night.

Highlights from Giddens’ show included a folk cover of “Hit ‘Em Up Style,” written by Blu Cantrell, a rousing medley of Celtic songs and a lively rendition of the gospel song “Can’t Nobody Hide from God.”

— Ellen Adams

Neutral Milk Hotel

April 14

The clock ticked past nine o’clock and the massive crowd at the Jefferson Theater grew restless. The stage had been decked out with brass instruments, electronics and guitar pedals, then left empty for over fifteen minutes. Finally, clad in flannel and bearing a road-worn guitar, Jeff Mangum took the stage, beginning with tender solo-number “I Will Bury You In Time,” before launching into the explosive “Holland, 1945” backed by the full Neutral Milk Hotel lineup. The band and the crowd fed off each other’s energy song after song, with audience members belting out every word alongside the ever-composed Mangum. His voice rang out as sharp and laden with emotion as ever. The 17 years since the release of “In the Aeroplane Over the Sea” have not diminished Mangum’s power, his magnetic presence even out of the spotlight at the far side of the cluttered stage. With closing song “Two-Headed Boy, Pt. 2” Mangum asserted, “When we break, we’ll wait for our miracle.” One could not help but feel that, though this was one of the band’s final shows, the musical brilliance of Neutral Milk Hotel will indeed be a lasting miracle.

— Noah Zeidman