Remembering Quentin Alcorn

University community, family, friends host memorial, reflect on Alcorn's life

Rising fourth-year Engineering student Quentin Alcorn passed away June 15. In this time of grief, the University community fondly remember his contributions to the University and Charlottesville and what he meant to friends and family.

At his service at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Richmond June 18, friends and family filled the pews to celebrate Alcon’s life, achievements and character.

Rising third-year Engineering student Kevin Davoli, Alcorn’s friend, remarked on Quentin’s accomplishments in academics, athletics and service.

“He excelled in everything he tried — literally,” Davoli said in an email. “From sports to academics, around the dancefloor and back again, Quent was someone to look up to and to look to in times of need.”

Alcorn grew up in Richmond, where he graduated from St. Christopher’s School. During his childhood, he was a member of a local Boy Scouts troop and found a passion in wrestling. Through Boy Scouts, Alcorn led his troop as a senior patrol leader and an Eagle Scout, the highest scout rank. He also led a trip to Philmont, a major scout ranch in New Mexico. Each of these positions within his Boy Scout troop, Troop 400, was considered prestigious.

In his time at St. Christopher’s School, Alcorn was a celebrated wrestler. He garnered two state titles in 2011 and 2012 and led the team to win its 11th consecutive state title in 2012.

“My win ended up sealing the team score,” Alcorn said in a St. Christopher’s article in 2012. “Greatest feeling in the world.”

At the University, Alcorn was a chemical engineering major and the president of the Xi Chapter of the Theta Chi fraternity. He also gave back to the community through his love of wrestling by coaching at St. Christopher’s and Albemarle High School.

“He never missed an opportunity to help those cared for, even if it meant staying up until five in the morning to do so,” Davoli said.

Friends and family described Quentin as honest, kind and exemplary.

“I've been thinking a lot about what life without Quent is going to be like,” Davoli said. “There'll be no loud bursts of laughter at a now vacant spot on the couch on the porch, just across from a lonely grill and unworn apron. A truck won't sit parked in the parking lot behind the house anymore, and when a Hozier song comes on, only one of us will be there to hear it.”

At his service, Alcorn’s brother Christian Alcorn recalled a trip he and Quentin took to the top of Mt. Rainier in Washington. Quentin served as the “anchor” who ensured everyone was moving along as safely as possible, a role he carried beyond the trip and throughout his life.

Kevin Davoli’s full remarks:

"Quent was the type of person that, when you were little, you hoped you'd become. I was lucky enough to call him 'brother,' and I'll be forever grateful for his place in my life.

He excelled in everything he tried - literally. From sports to academics, around the dancefloor and back again, Quent was someone to look up to and to look to in times of need. He never missed an opportunity to help those cared for, even if it meant staying up until 5 in the morning to do so. Quent was honest and blunt, but never said anything you shouldn't or didn't need to hear. He was the kind of guy who ignored your flaws as if you didn't have any.

I've been thinking a lot about what life without Quent is going to be like. There'll be no loud bursts of laughter at a now vacant spot on the couch on the porch, just across from a lonely grill and unworn apron. A truck won't sit parked in the parking lot behind the house anymore, and when a Hozier song comes on, only one of us will be there to hear it. A traffic sign will hang prominently in what was your room and what soon will be mine. And all around, the hundreds of lives you touched will continue to look up to see your light just one more time...

Q, for a while I struggled with what I wanted to say to you, but I've decided to leave it at 'Thank you.' Not just for being a friend, brother, and role model, but also for letting me be part of your supporting cast. I miss you already, but I know we'll be able to shoot the breeze again someday. Until then, just know that you were, and are still very much so, loved."