Jesse Matthew given three lifetime sentences in Fairfax case

Death penalty on table in upcoming trial

<p>Matthew is facing charges in Albemarle related to the disappearances and deaths of University student Hannah Graham last year and Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in 2009. Those trials have been respectively scheduled for July and October of 2016.</p>

Matthew is facing charges in Albemarle related to the disappearances and deaths of University student Hannah Graham last year and Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in 2009. Those trials have been respectively scheduled for July and October of 2016.

Jesse Matthew was given three life sentences by a Fairfax judge for an attempted sexual assault on a Fairfax woman in 2005.

The Friday decision was delivered by a judge following an Alford plea entered by Matthew, who plead guilty in the face of overwhelming incriminating evidence against him while maintaining his innocence.

Consequently, the judge sentenced without the aid of a jury, instead using Matthew’s history and character descriptions to help determine the sentence, including a letter from an ex-girlfriend.

Matthew is also facing charges in Albemarle related to the disappearances and deaths of University student Hannah Graham last year and Virginia Tech student Morgan Harrington in 2009. Those trials have been respectively scheduled for July and October of 2016.

Matthew could face the death penalty in the Graham case.