“The Hunger Games” conclusion leaves viewers hungering for more

Final installment of beloved film series thrills

<p>The latest installment of "The Hunger Games" franchise ties up loose ends.</p>

The latest installment of "The Hunger Games" franchise ties up loose ends.

Suspenseful, thrilling and fast-paced, “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2” is the perfect end to the celebrated series.

This fourth installment follows Katniss Everdeen (played by Jennifer Lawrence) through her quest to squelch the tyrannical Capitol forces terrorizing the districts of Panem. Joined by the rebels of the Districts, family friend Gale Hawthorne (Liam Hemsworth) and fellow Hunger Games veteran Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutchinson), Katniss enters the Capitol hoping to assassinate its leader, President Snow. However, once inside the walls of the Capitol, it becomes clear to the rebels that their choice of enemy may have been misguided.

Directed by Francis Lawrence, “Part 2” is the most climactic film of the series. While “Part 1” is often criticized for being too dialogue-heavy and lacking in action, this film makes up for it. Once the rebels enter the Capitol, viewers are barraged with images of zombie-like monsters, rapid-fire machine guns and rope contraptions designed to hang the rebels in the air by all four limbs.

However, the strongest aspect of the film is its portrayal of the main characters. Unlike her performances as Katniss in the previous films, Jennifer Lawrence takes on a deeper approach to the character by unleashing Katniss’ raw emotion. In one of the final scenes of the film, Katniss returns home only to break down crying in the middle of her kitchen. Her facial expressions as well as heart-wrenching screams make this moment one of the series’ most moving.

While the film provides a conclusive end to Katniss’ future, it lacks information on the fate of the Capitol following Snow’s death. Instead of providing a detailed conclusion to the film, Lawrence keeps the ending ambiguous. After Katniss leaves to return to her district, the film never goes back to Panem, a flaw that may be unsettling to some viewers.

With its strong performances and powerful plot, “Mockingjay Part 2” is sure to top box offices throughout the country — and top off an engaging and unique franchise based on Suzanne Collins’ best-selling books.