“The Gift of the Magi” pushes character development in climatic epsiode

“Fargo”'s fifth episode is the best yet

<p>FX's "Fargo" sends viewers exciting twists and turns each week.</p>

FX's "Fargo" sends viewers exciting twists and turns each week.

“The Gift of the Magi” is the incredible, action-packed episode TV series “Fargo” has been building up to all season. The show has moved quickly into no-one-is-safe territory, placing characters in dangerous scenes.

The episode begins introducing Ronald Reagan (Bruce Campbell) in a shot reminiscent of the baptism scene from “The Godfather.” As Reagan speaks of the city upon a hill and America’s destiny, the criminal factions are engaging in a brutal shootout. This scene is not just faceless thugs killing each other — rather, it is full of important characters who seemed all but immortal just episodes before.

Reagan functions mainly as a comedic character and his presence led to great scenes. But Lou Solverson (Patrick Wilson) is largely sidelined because he works for Reagan's security detail. Nevertheless, he has a pleasant interaction with the future president in the form of a urinal conversation.

Standing out in the violence is the Gerhardt enforcer, Hanzee Dent (Zahn McClarnon). While he has been menacing in previous episodes, here audiences actually see him in action. With Mike Milligan (Bokeem Woodbine) as the face of the Kansas City muscle and Dent as the Gerhardt champion, it seems that a showdown between the two is inevitable. Where Milligan is gregarious and amiable, Dent is quiet and sullen. They may be different, but both effortlessly project danger and confidence.

Several scenes throughout the episode are sprinkled with previously minor characters. Karl Weathers (Nick Offerman) channels Ron Swanson — in spite of Weathers’ liberalism — and is starstruck by Reagan, despite attempts to remain aloof. Noreen Vanderslice (Emily Haine), who previously sat in the butcher shop reading Camus and saying “Okay then,” finally opens her mouth to reflect on death and flirt with would-be hit man Charlie Gerhardt (Allan Dobrescu) in a hilarious scene. Hopefully she gets a little more screen time in the future.

The episode’s title, “The Gift of the Magi,” references an O. Henry story that is paralleled by the latest development in the Ed (Jesse Plemens) and Peggy (Kirsten Dunst) saga. The story, in which a husband and wife both give up their most valuable possession to buy a gift for the other, is presented relatively unironically. After Ed begins to push back on her manipulation, Peggy shows a rare bit of compassion for her husband in choosing to give up her dreams of escaping to California. Ed finally loses his dream of taking over the butcher shop because of his involvement with Peggy. Uncharacteristically, Peggy acts without selfish motives, but just like the O. Henry story, neither “gift” actually pays off for the other.