U.Va. Honor Committee approves proposals to appear on February ballot

Provisions allow for potential transition to multi-sanction system

<p>The Honor Committee approved on Sunday two proposals to be on a ballot they will release to the student body in February</p>

The Honor Committee approved on Sunday two proposals to be on a ballot they will release to the student body in February

Following discussions last week, the Honor Committee approved two proposals Sunday to be on a ballot they will release to the student body in February.

The first proposal, which passed 21-3, allows students to vote to continue the current single sanction system or change Honor Committee’s constitution to allow for the creation of a multiple sanction system.

If students vote to pursue a multiple sanction system, the Honor Committee will create a survey to poll student opinion. The Honor Committee will also create an independent review commission to create the new system within a reasonable time.

The second proposal, passed 19-5, is a response to the second referendum put forth last year by then-Senior Support Officer Ian Robertson and Support Officer Jaeyoon Park, both fourth-year College students. It presents a constitutional amendment which would hold the Honor Committee accountable by methods other than the constitution.

The proposal allows the Honor Committee to ask non-binding questions on the ballot to gauge student opinion. If a majority of students vote positively on the question, then the Honor Committee would respond within the time frame of one year.

This proposal would allow the Honor Committee to make the changes to an appropriate document, instead of requiring a binding constitutional change.