Virginia wraps up play at Kitty Harrison Invitational

<p>Senior Maci Epstein went 2-1 over the weekend at the Kitty Harrison Invitational</p>

Senior Maci Epstein went 2-1 over the weekend at the Kitty Harrison Invitational

Virginia women’s tennis wrapped up their weekend at the Kitty Harrison Invitational Sunday in Chapel Hill, N.C., where they won two of their three singles matchups while struggling in doubles play.

On day one of the competition Friday, Virginia struggled in both singles and doubles play — losing consecutive doubles matches against Duke, 1-2, and LSU, 0-3, who also nearly shutout the Cavaliers in singles play, with senior Skylar Morton the lone victor in Virginia’s 1-5 defeat.

After the rusty day one outing, Virginia turned it around for the rest of the weekend, going 5-1 in singles play against Maryland Saturday and closing out day three Sunday with a 4-1 victory over Rice. Their doubles performance improved as well as they split two matches against host North Carolina Saturday.

In Saturday’s doubles play, the Cavaliers split their results against the Tar Heels, with junior Victoria Olivares and senior Stephanie Nauta losing their match,1-6, while Morton and freshman Erica Susi picked up a doubles win, 6-4.

Each of the five Cavaliers players who participated in all three singles matches — Morton, Olivera, Nauta, along with senior Maci Epstein and freshman Meghan Kelley, all finished the weekend with 2-1 singles records. The exception for Virginia was the freshman Susi, who lost to LSU day one and retired from her singles match day two against Maryland.

Absent in Chapel Hill for the Cavaliers were seniors Julia Elbaba and Danielle Collins, both of whom are set to compete at the ITA National Indoors next weekend in Flushing, N.Y.