Volleyball preps for NC State, North Carolina

Return to NCAA tournament remains within reach for Cavaliers

<p>Star senior middle hitter Natalie Bausback has racked up 291 kills and 227 digs this season. She ranks second on Virginia in both categories.&nbsp;</p>

Star senior middle hitter Natalie Bausback has racked up 291 kills and 227 digs this season. She ranks second on Virginia in both categories. 

Despite coming off a huge weekend that saw convincing victories over ACC opponents Clemson and Georgia Tech, there is no time for the Virginia volleyball team (17-10, 9-7 ACC) to bask in the success of their two wins. In a quick turnaround this weekend, the Cavaliers will finish off their four-game home stand with matches against fellow ACC teams NC State and North Carolina.

The No. 22 Tar Heels (18-8, 15-2 ACC) are one of the hottest teams in the nation, having reeled off 10 consecutive wins. They are coming off a dominant weekend that saw them handily beat both Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech in straight sets. In addition, the Tar Heels beat NC State in four sets on Wednesday. Virginia coach Dennis Hohenshelt knows Saturday’s match will test his team’s physicality.

“For sure UNC is a very, very physical team,” he said.

NC State (15-14, 4-13 ACC) will try to bounce back from a tough 3-2 loss to Pittsburgh last Saturday and the 3-1 midweek loss to UNC. Hohenshelt knows the Wolfpack will also present challenges.

“NC State does not have a lot of wins, but they are a pretty physical team,” Hohenshelt said following Virginia’s win against Georgia Tech. “They have some nice momentum going.”

Virginia knows that strong play this weekend will be crucial, especially with the season winding down. The Cavaliers have one goal in mind: to make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1999.

The Cavaliers understand that the NCAA tournament is a very possible reality and are doing what they can to remain focused. This includes using a whiteboard to remind themselves of what they have an opportunity to accomplish.

“We have a whiteboard down there that we put up two weeks ago, and it was basically with 10 matches left and so [if] we beat someone the name goes on the whiteboard — at the top of the whiteboard it says NCAA,” Hohenshelt said. “That is really the motivation for these kids right now. With two weeks left in the season they are now playing for [an] NCAA tournament.”

Virginia will get the luxury of playing at home again this weekend, something the Cavaliers have enjoyed in six of their last eight matches. They have gone 4-4 during that span and will look to add a couple of wins this weekend.

“To win at home is very important right now,” Hohenshelt said. “Every win is very important for us in terms of the NCAA.”

Hohenshelt knows that with the regular season winding down and the NCAA tournament just around the corner, every opponent will pose a challenge.

“Anyone can get hot right now this time of year,” Hohenshelt said. “If we can keep getting with our block and defense and serve tough, that is what we are going to require.”

After a week of practice, Virginia will be looking to ride its momentum and have a successful weekend before heading on the road to finish up the regular season.

The Cavaliers will play NC State Friday at 7 p.m. and North Carolina 24 hours later. Both matches will be contested at Memorial Gymnasium.