YAHNIAN: The healing power of comfort animals

Eligible students should take advantage of a new University policy

Pets are awesome. Whether you prefer puppies, cats, parrots or fish, there’s no denying the happiness a pet’s relentless affection can create for its owner. Recognizing the positive effects of such a close, personal connection, some universities have implemented a “comfort animal” policy allowing students with diagnosed mental health issues or disabilities to bring their pets to on-campus housing. With pets’ documented ability to provide critical therapeutic support and reduce anxiety and depression, the University implemented a similar policy this summer. This wonderful new initiative uses the intimate relationship between pet and owner to aid some students’ psychological needs, yet because it’s relatively new and has had no publicity, many students who would qualify haven’t taken advantage of it.

There is something special about pets. To some, it’s the long walks together exploring the outdoors in silence listening only to nature’s calls. For others, it’s rubbing fingers through their fluffy fur while watching TV on the couch. However, when many college students are cast into the initially vast, unknown world of college life with its stress-inducing deadlines, eternal midterm period and unfamiliar population, people, especially those with mental health issues or disabilities, can feel crushed under a system of competition. This is not to say competition is bad. In fact, competition at the University prepares students for the dog-eat-dog world outside our enclosed bubble while encouraging students to achieve beyond their perceived limitations. It’s to say that a natural byproduct of competition is that some of the most vulnerable students can fall victim to the sometimes crushing weight of college life. The new University policy permitting students with a documented need to bring comfort animals to their on-Grounds housing provides a different avenue for these students to receive the therapeutic support the University has an obligation to provide. As a student at St. Mary’s College of Maryland participating in a similar program notes about her dog, “when I feel a panic attack coming on, feeling his heartbeat helps me regulate my own.”

Naturally with any program there are some guidelines. Students are eligible to apply through the Student Disability Access Center if they are diagnosed with a mental health issue or documented disability that an animal could ameliorate. Ensuring that the program is cost-effective, it’s the responsibility of students to provide veterinary records and maintain updated vaccinations and medications for the animal. There are also specific rules on supervision, off-limits areas and safety procedures. While the process seems pretty straight-forward, the lack of awareness and publicity about this new program has led to many eligible students not taking advantage of this unique opportunity. I couldn’t even find any information about the program online. Students can contact SDAC to find the updated policy detailing the new comfort animal program.

The University has demonstrated its leadership on an issue that is not only just a few years old but also going through the legal chaos that comes with new initiatives. Recently, a case was filed by the Justice Department on behalf of two University of Nebraska students denied these so-called emotional support animals. The case was brought up on the grounds that the university was violating the Fair Housing Act. A federal court found that animals that provide emotional support are among the “reasonable accommodations” the Fair Housing Act mandates. Consequently, the settlement included $140,000 for the two students and established guidelines for requests in the future. However, since the settlement is not binding on all universities, others have taken the lead in establishing new policies at universities across the country such as Otterbein University, the University of North Carolina, Northern Arizona University and — most-notably — the University itself.

While I’m sure there are plenty of students, myself included, who maintain that their pet is essential to their emotional well-being, unfortunately University policy still does “not permit dog(s), cat(s) or any other pets to be on the premises, even if temporarily.” In the future, I think a more inclusive pet policy would have a monumental impact on student well-being. The University already recognizes that animals have a positive effect on student health. Puppies and Pumpkins, possibly the greatest combination of two words, is an event hosted by the University Programs Council that functions as “a stress reliever for students during midterms.” Admittedly, a more inclusive pet policy raises a litany of issues, including the financial costs of updating facilities for the widespread presence of pets and the health and safety concerns that come with accommodating animals. Yet, given the University’s acknowledgement of the proven positive effects of animals, it’s clear allowing more animals will bring more happiness to Grounds. While that’s my hope for the future, eligible students should capitalize on the University’s praise-worthy new initiative. I know I would.

Ben Yahnian is an Opinion columnist for The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached b.yahnian@cavalierdaily.com.