Eramo's lawyers request additional time to depose Jackie

Jackie’s lawyers call motion “scorched earth attacks”

<p>Eramo filed the lawsuit in May 2015 against Rolling Stone, Sabrina Rubin Erdely and Wenner Media LLC for statements made in the article “A Rape on Campus.”</p>

Eramo filed the lawsuit in May 2015 against Rolling Stone, Sabrina Rubin Erdely and Wenner Media LLC for statements made in the article “A Rape on Campus.”

The defense has filed a motion in court March 15 to quash Jackie’s deposition in University Assoc. Dean Nicole Eramo’s defamation lawsuit against Rolling Stone magazine.

The motion is a response to a motion filed by Eramo’s lawyers requesting more time for Jackie’s deposition.

Judge Glen E. Conrad ordered the deposition, which was set at a maximum of seven hours, in February. According to court documents, Eramo’s lawyers believe additional time is necessary in order for a “fair examination of the deponent.”

A memorandum of law filed cites three reasons for the request for additional time.

First, Jackie played a role as central source for Rolling Stone’s now-retracted article “A Rape on Campus.”

Second, both sides have indicated Jackie will be questioned extensively, and third, the plaintiff anticipates the questioning will be especially time consuming.

“For these reasons, Plaintiff requests a total of 6.5 hours to question Jackie on the record, exclusive of breaks, extended objections, colloquy among counsel or court conferences,” Eramo’s memorandum reads.

In response to the memorandum, the defense argued spending more time deposing Jackie will cause more harm than good.

“Eramo has exhibited no interest in attempting to balance her supposed need for any information with the inevitable and undeniable damage that will result from Respondent having to sit for this deposition,” Jackie’s lawyers argued in their memorandum.

Jackie’s lawyers said Eramo’s motion for additional time in the deposition “continues her scorched earth attacks on [Jackie].”

They further argue Eramo has no grounds for the lawsuit, as the “Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Education reached conclusions regarding Dean Eramo’s violations of Title IX that soundly defeat her sole causation and damages theory in this case.”

Eramo filed the lawsuit in May 2015 against Rolling Stone, journalist Sabrina Rubin Erdely and Wenner Media LLC for statements made in the article “A Rape on Campus.” Jackie is not a party to the lawsuit.