Slow start costs women’s lacrosse against Duke

<p>Posey Valis scored three goals against Duke, with her third cutting the deficit to 9-6. The Cavaliers fell on the road, 11-8.</p>

Posey Valis scored three goals against Duke, with her third cutting the deficit to 9-6. The Cavaliers fell on the road, 11-8.

A slow start doomed the No. 13 Virginia women’s lacrosse team as the team fell to No. 15 Duke, 11-8, Saturday in Durham, NC.

Junior attacker Posey Valis and sophomore midfielder Kasey Behr both scored three goals for the Cavaliers, who trailed 8-2 at halftime. Senior midfielder Mary Alati and freshman midfielder Maggie Jackson also netted a goal a piece.

Virginia (5-6) outshot Duke (8-4), 22-17, but had a tough time scoring on Blue Devil senior goalie Kelsey Duryea. Duryea, the ACC leader in saves per game at 8.73, stopped 12 Cavalier shots Saturday.

Virginia held the advantage in draw controls, 14-7, and ground balls, 17-13.

Duke opened the game with two goals in the first five minutes to go up 2-0. After Behr put the Cavaliers on the board at the 23:34 minute mark from an assist from senior attacker Kelly Boyd, Duke proceeded to score five straight to extend the lead to 7-1.

Behr scored again to break Duke’s goal streak with 4:36 left in the first half, but the Blue Devils got another goal shortly after to make the halftime score 8-2.

Virginia came out strong in the second half, as two goals by Valis and one by Jackson on an Alati assist cut Duke’s lead to 8-5 with 21:53 left in the game. The Blue Devils responded with a goal minutes later, but Valis scored her third goal of the day to close Duke’s lead back to three, 9-6, with 16:45 left to play.

However, Duke scored back-to-back goals to give the team a comfortable 11-6 lead with 11:09 to play. Behr and Alati each scored a goal in the final 10 minutes, but it wasn’t enough to bring the Cavaliers back into the game.

Virginia will next play against No. 12 Boston College (6-4) this Saturday at Klöckner Stadium. The game will be the Cavalier’s final home contest of the season.