Spectrum show brings laughter and tears

Actors in “Putnam County Spelling Bee” put positive spin on life’s imperfections

<p>Spectrum Theatre's performance of "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" sent audiences on a roller coaster of emotions.</p>

Spectrum Theatre's performance of "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" sent audiences on a roller coaster of emotions.

Spectrum Theater’s opening night of “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” had a near-full house, a well-deserved achievement since the show was so dynamic. Audience members laughed, cried and squirmed in their seats. Discomfort, shock and relief overtook them as tragedy morphed into empowerment.

On the surface, each character was different and commanded a distinct personality, especially when it came to their personal techniques for spelling words. They all had clear, individual backstories or internal struggles, which the audience gradually learned. The juxtaposition of so many emotions and topics made “Spelling Bee” an incredible show.

Some problems the characters encountered were relatively trivial, such as Chip’s (Ben Andre) erection, which caused him to misspell a word. Others, however, spoke to more serious themes.

“The show starts with what seems like a bunch of happy and energetic kids, but you find out their backstory and the tragedy that they've experience at a young age, whether it's the pressure from school, feeling dumb or parents who are unsupportive,” Director Lucy Gordon Smith, a third-year College student, said. “I find that this is often what life is like. Something amazing will happen, but something terrible will happen as well.”

This tension of the positive versus negative was a common theme throughout the show.

Smith said the most difficult part of the process was having to narrow down her visions while still showcasing the diversely talented cast and crew, who took on their roles with unique and interesting perspectives.

“I would have one idea in my brain for how the scene should look, but then my actors personalized it and added their ideas to it, and the scenes looked better than I could ever imagine,” Smith added.

A significant part of the show is audience member participation. Upon purchasing their ticket, viewers had a chance to enter a raffle to participate in the show. Three lucky winners were able to sit on stage and attempt to spell words, including “mizzle,” “Mexican” and “cow,” throughout the first half of the performance. These simple words not only elicited laughs from the audience but fury and frustration from the real cast members, resulting in a musical number venting their pent-up sentiments.

“Spelling Bee” allows for references that are not explicitly scripted, only enhancing the show. Whenever guest spellers took the stage, for instance, the judges would spout comical, obviously untrue facts about the contestants. There were also references in the show to college life in general. One particular highlight was when Jesus Christ (Josh Gritz) entered a scene, referencing a past First Year Players’ show, “Godspell.”

Beyond the humor and innocence of the show, “Spelling Bee” provides a unique commentary on the pressures and imperfections of life — academic, social and personal. Through the different characters, audience members could perhaps find shadows of their own childhood, or even their present self, and take comfort in knowing everyone else has their own internal battles and worries. The show was more than just fun and games, though it certainly emphasized recognizing the positives. It was a very real portrayal of the ups and down everyone faces in life.