U.Va. sponsors “Chuck it for Charity”

Program collects gently used items from students during summer moves

<p>Chuck It For Charity, in&nbsp;partner&nbsp;with local organizations like Goodwill, placed several donation boxes around Grounds for students during move-out time.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

Chuck It For Charity, in partner with local organizations like Goodwill, placed several donation boxes around Grounds for students during move-out time.  

For the 17th year in a row, the University Office for Sustainability is sponsoring its annual “Chuck It for Charity” program, which ran May 5-14 on Grounds and will run May 23-24 off Grounds.

The program — which began in 1999 — encourages students to donate gently used items as they leave dorms and housing for the summer. Instead of throwing them away, students have the opportunity to donate unwanted appliances, furniture, clothing and other items through Chuck It for Charity.

The donations are then given to local nonprofits, including Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army.

Dana Schroeder, outreach and engagement coordinator for the Office of Sustainability, said that the program is unique to the University because of its continual improvement.

“Chuck It For Charity began years and years ago as an initiative of the U.Va. Recycling Department to keep usable items out of dumpsters and away from landfills,” Schroeder said in an email statement. “It is special because it has been going on for quite a long time, with continual improvement each year. I would even say that it is one of the oldest and longest-lasting sustainability initiatives on Grounds!”

The program has experienced significant growth in recent years. From 2013 to 2015, the amount of on-Grounds donations nearly tripled from 8,842 pounds to 26,240 pounds, according to a press release from the University.

“The program’s recent success has encouraged off Grounds property managers to open three new collection sites this year,” the release read.

The program has also experienced change over time in the types of materials it collects.

Sonny Beale, recycling programs superintendent at the Office of Sustainability, said the on-Grounds collection received more heavy building materials prior to the updating of dorm furnishings.

“In our earliest days we diverted as much as 128,000 pounds of material that included cinder blocks and other building materials typically used for shelving and raising beds for additional storage space,” Beale said in an email statement. “Since the resident halls have updated furnishings to allow for additional storage areas without using the heavy materials, therefore, helping to reduce additional waste to landfill[s].”

This expansion has already had an impact on students living off-Grounds.

Alexandra Pitman, a second-year College student, said she plans to “chuck” a desk.

“It’s really disappointing when otherwise useful furniture and goods end up in landfills,” Pitman said. “Just because I don’t want it [the desk] anymore doesn’t mean another person won’t find a place for it.”

Chuck It for Charity locations are also offering free cardboard boxes at the University Recycling Warehouse to help students move out this year.

In addition to Chuck It for Charity’s expansion, the U.Va. Surplus Property Department offered free “E-cycling” at the student activities building May 5-14, allowing students, faculty and staff to donate their used electronics.

There are 11 off-Grounds locations that will be taking donations May 23-24, including locations on Rugby Road, North Grounds and Wertland Street.