Band of Horses releases “Why Are You OK”

New LP is directionless, mundane

<p>Latest release from Band of Horses shows nothing new.</p>

Latest release from Band of Horses shows nothing new.

Despite the Grammy nomination of 2010’s “Infinite Arms” for Best Alternative Music Album, Band of Horses has struggled to find commercial success in the U.S. or abroad. With “Infinite Arms,” the band developed a loyal following in Scandinavia and Seattle for their raw alternative rock and the soft vocals of lead singer Ben Bridwell. Fan favorite tracks like “The Funeral” and “Is There A Ghost” are powerful in their simplicity — the songs masterfully cascade from reverb-soaked ambience into fierce driving rock sounds.

With the subsequent release of 2012’s “Mirage Rock,” Band of Horses took an ambitious crack at mainstream success by turning to pop styles rather than building upon their old, unique rock music.

However, the album fell flat despite generally positive reviews. Unfortunately, Band of Horses recent release, “Why Are You OK,” marks another waypoint along this same downward trend.

Like “Mirage Rock,” it is difficult to criticize the band’s latest album — strictly speaking, there is nothing inherently wrong with the effort. The album is a medley of rock, pop, folk and alternative sounds, which would appeal to almost any rock music fan, and the contributions of singer and producer Jason Lytle bring a new sound to the group. The steady guitar energy of the first track, “Dull Times / The Moon,” seems to steer the album clear of the pop sound “Mirage Rock” found its downfall in.

However, tracks “Solemn Oath” and “Casual Party” evoke folk beats and pop riffs, respectively. The resulting album caters to fans of any music genre, and in doing so sacrifices any distinct characteristics or identity.

The track-listing of “Why Are You OK” simply lacks any personality. “Casual Party” — the album’s loudest song — is devoid of any rhythmic variation or harmony. Furthermore, the guitar riffs are repetitive and uninspiring. Coupled with Bridwell’s mellow vocals, the resulting album becomes utterly vanilla.