Gooch renovations complete

Gooch dorm construction comes to a close as plans for Dillard begin

<p>“Suite style has some of the most community-oriented living that we have on Grounds and we want to make sure that the environment is the best that it can be and that people enjoy the suite style experience during their first year,” Jackson Nell said.</p>

“Suite style has some of the most community-oriented living that we have on Grounds and we want to make sure that the environment is the best that it can be and that people enjoy the suite style experience during their first year,” Jackson Nell said.

With the new academic year arriving, some first-year students will be moving into the newly renovated Gooch Dorm — the culmination of a six-year plan developed by the University for renovating the dorm.

“The renovations have been a part of the formal plans for the last six years, and that includes what building systems needed to be replaced and brought up to current standards,” Patricia Romer, director of business and facilities services, said. “We also looked at the first-year experience and what the students were telling us to incorporate into the project.”

The project includes the separation of Gooch-Dillard and the establishment of suite-style double rooms.

Student input was a crucial part in organizing the development for the new renovations.

“Everything we do across Grounds is designed to improve the living environment that students experience at U.Va.,” Assistant Dean of Students Andrew Petters said. “We are always open to student input on our projects, and we are looking forward to how the new Gooch will positively impact the way students [live] and learn within this residential community.”

One of the main plans for the Gooch and Dillard renovations was to emphasize the sense of community the dorms had to offer. This involved the remodeling of the interior as well as sprucing up the exterior of the buildings.

“We are trying to change and improve the exterior look of the community along with the air conditioning systems, flooring, removing walls to increase the number of double rooms, as well as overhauls to the bathrooms,” Petters said. “The community will remain suite-style, but it will feel new and be more of a home to our students.”

Housing and Residence Life has found suite-style living to be one of the best options for growing a strong community.

“Suite style has some of the most community-oriented living that we have on Grounds and we want to make sure that the environment is the best that it can be and that people enjoy the suite style experience during their first year,” Resident Staff Program Chair Jackson Nell, a fourth-year College student, said.

HRL’s decision to make the new renovations suite-style combats the stigmas of a lesser sense of community, poor air conditioning and lack of open outdoor spaces which have often been associated with the Gooch-Dillard living experience.

“Hall-style residence halls are like being in a lecture class and living in Gooch or other suite style residence halls is like being in a seminar class,” Countess Hughes, assistant director of assignments, said. “[With] hall style you may meet more people on your floor, but in Gooch you have fewer people in your suite but know them on a more personal level.”

The Gooch Dorm will house 326 students all living in either a single, double or triple living space. They will also have access to a study lounge, outdoor patios and a full kitchen.

“The new building will have seven students living in singles, 12 students living in triples and 292 students living in doubles,” Hughes said. “There will also be 14 Resident Advisors and one Senior Resident in the Gooch building.”

The Dillard renovations started over the summer and will be completed within the next year with similar updates. The dorms will now be separated as Gooch and Dillard instead of the originally jointed Gooch-Dillard dorms.