Uncommon opens on West Main Street

New apartment complex offers new off-Grounds student housing option

Uncommon Charlottesville opened for residents Aug. 12, becoming a new major off-Grounds student housing option on West Main Street.

Uncommon Leasing Manager Brandon Collins said the location is an important aspect of the new complex, which is primarily targeted at students.

“[Students are] so close to everything Charlottesville has to offer,” Collins said in an email. “Our location sets us apart, being only 0.2 miles from Grounds.”

Collins said Uncommon is home to 354 residents and offers an array of amenities.

“The amenities [are] outstanding — 24/7 accessible gym, media center, golf simulator and pool — [and] the customer service is unparalleled,” Collins said. “The entire staff consistently goes out of their way to ensure that everything that can be done, will be done to make the resident as happy and comfortable as possible.”

Floor plan options include four, three and two bedroom options, as well as single bedroom and studio apartments.

Collins also noted the building’s security.

“Our property is covered within the areas that U.Va. Ambassadors cover to give students that extra measure of security,” Collins said.

Since Uncommon has opened, it has communicated with the University to coordinate on housing availability for students.

Collins said although no official partnership with the University has been established, Uncommon remains in contact with Housing and Residence Life to provide information about the apartment complex.

The University’s housing capacity currently remains at around 6,600 undergraduate students for on-Grounds housing.

While all first-year students are required to live on-Grounds, data presented to the Board of Visitors in February showed that approximately 43 percent of second years, 14 percent of third-years and only 8 percent of fourth-years live in on-Grounds University housing.

“The University urges students to determine who they want to live with and whether that is on or off-Grounds,” Countess Hughes, assistant director of assignments for Housing and Residence Life, said in an email statement. “The University has excellent on-Grounds housing options and provides administrative support for students who wish to live off-Grounds.”

Hughes said students report having ample housing options both on and off-Grounds.

Collins says Uncommon hopes to attract more students in the coming years.

“The Uncommon team plans to continue to reach out to the U.Va. student body by walking the campus to spread the Uncommon word, both verbally and in the form of flyers. Uncommon also plans to host both private and public events at our facility and the neighboring spaces,” Collins said.