Final debate screening attracts 150 viewers

Students discuss crowd behavior, desire to be informed

<p>This event was co-sponsored by Student Council, University Programs Council, The New York Times, UVAVotes, the Class of 2017 Trustees, College Republicans and University Democrats.</p>

This event was co-sponsored by Student Council, University Programs Council, The New York Times, UVAVotes, the Class of 2017 Trustees, College Republicans and University Democrats.

The third and final presidential debate between Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump was screened in Newcomb Theater on Wednesday evening to a crowd of about 150 viewers.

Although members of the crowd vocalized their opinions throughout the debate, some students said crowd behavior improved in comparison to the screening of the first presidential debate.

“I do feel when you have a crowd that can create a bias,” first-year College student Arnold Dai, who attended the screening, said. “I was concerned given how toxic this election has been that having a lot of people expressing their opinions it can create controversy, so I am glad that generally the audience was respectful.”

Geremia Di Marco, a second-year College student, also said he thinks behavior has improved.

“The first one was definitely the most rowdy,” he said. “I was kind of disappointed because it was sometimes hard to hear the candidates because people were laughing or yelling, but it has definitely calmed down since then.”

This behavior continued throughout the debate with spurts of boisterous reactions immediately followed by brief chatter. The largest audience reactions were delivered after candidate statements on abortion, immigration, the economy and questions regarding fitness for office.

Several students said they attended the event to be more informed on the candidates and their political stances.

“I think this election is very controversial and it has been very interesting to watch, so I came to be informed and in the know about it,” first-year College student Kelsey Irwin said.

UPC has teamed up with several other student organizations to screen every debate of the 2016 general election at Newcomb Theater.

Although the first debate was held Sept. 26, Madeline Houck, fifth-year Batten student and UPC outreach chair, said UPC had these screenings planned for months.

“Every student deserves to be engaged in politics and that’s very important this time of year, so we made sure to reserve the theater before school started for all the debate nights and election night,” Houck said. “Having all these different co-sponsors really shows how important we think it is for students to watch the debate and engage in this election.”

Houck said the first debate attracted the largest crowd, drawing about 350 students. Along with a decrease in attendance, audience behavior at the screenings has become more subdued.

“People at the second two debates — the vice presidential debate and second presidential debate—have been much quieter,” Houck said. “I don’t know if it’s different people attending, but since the first debate, we have not seen nearly as much talking or reacting to the debate.”

This trend of more respectful behavior has been happily welcomed by regular screening attendees.

“It is better when it’s a smaller crowd,” first-year College student Tim Lasley, who attended Wednesday’s screening and two previous screenings, said. “I would say it’s definitely calmed down a lot and it has become much more enjoyable, but it is still fun to listen to everyone.”

Other student groups have also offered alternative viewings for their members. For example, the College Republicans has had its own screenings for each debate.

Adam Kimelman, second-year College student and College Republicans vice chair of campaigns, said these screenings are a part of the club’s tradition and are not meant to detract from the screenings put on by UPC.

“We’ve been planning these [private debate screenings] for a while,” Kimelman said. “We had the first one all planned before we were asked to be sponsors. We are still promoting the UPC event to our members, so our members have the option of going to either.”

Ali Hiestand, a third-year College student and College Republicans events chair, said the atmosphere at these events is more welcoming for members of the organization.

“I think our members probably are more comfortable at our events than at a UPC event, but not just because of the liberal audience, but because we're not in an auditorium,” Hiestand said in an email statement. “Our members walk around freely, chat, get drinks and interact. It's much more conducive to conversation than just a viewing of the debate. We also agree on more issues so we tend cheer and boo at the same statements, so it's nice to watch the debate in an environment where you know many of the people share your views.”

The University Democrats co-sponsored the UPC debate screenings because it was “an opportunity to have the entire University community watch the debate together,” University Democrats President Sam Tobin, a fourth-year College student, said. The University Democrats did not hold any official private screenings and encouraged its members to attend the viewings at Newcomb Hall.

Although this was the last debate of the 2016 presidential election, UPC has plans to host another viewing party on election night for students to watch the results together.