TAVAKOL: Time for U-Guides to get out of Pavilion VIII

Reserving the space for the organization fosters elitism while making the Lawn less accessible to students

The University is an institution that prides itself on representing a diversity of student voices and addressing student concerns, but this has come under threat in one of our institution's most central spaces: the first floor of Pavilion VIII. This space has a large, open room that is theoretically open to all students, but in reality generally occupied only by members of the University Guide Service. The room has been repurposed into the organization’s hangout space adjacent to the small UGS office in the pavilion, further perpetuating the exclusive and elitist culture the Academical Village already struggles to overcome. Aside from the Rotunda, there are no indoor spaces University students can use on the Lawn. The administration should have UGS vacate the space and open it up to all students.

Some may ask, “Why don’t you just go study there if it’s technically open to all students?” This so-called “open space” is covered with UGS memorabilia, which gives off a sense of the organization’s prestige. Covering the walls are pieces of the organization’s history, from each probationary class photo to collages and pictures of members from past years. The furniture around the room does not match the antiqued, elegant pieces that are housed in each of the remaining nine pavilions. Instead, second-hand chairs, couches and tables fill the room from previous Guides who leave their furniture each year. In my experience, when you walk in, you’re greeted with a look of “You don’t belong,” “Why are you here?” or “Who are you?” These reactions are not consistent with what should be the inclusive, welcoming atmosphere of an open space. University Guides also use this space to their own benefit unfairly — for example, some members store personal furniture in the pavilion over the summer.

I see the restriction of this space as perpetuating elitist culture at the University. Many students are not aware this is not supposed to be the ‘Guides Pavilion.’ Many students are not aware faculty live in each of the pavilions. Many students are not aware classes are offered in this historic site. Most importantly, many students are never truly introduced to this Academical Village environment, and this leads to essentially skewing the population of students who apply to live on the Lawn during their third year. The Lawn’s connection to the history and development of our University is rarely understood, except by those who take the time to explore Mr. Jefferson’s 19th century brainchild, namely those who find their “home” in this Academical Village.

The Guide Service serves a tremendous purpose on Grounds, but so do many other University groups. The Guide Service is considered a special status group, but all special status groups perform a vital University function — whether it is representing and promoting multicultural individuals on Grounds with the Minority Rights Coalition, speaking for its entire University class through the Class of 2017 Trustees or the providing leadership to the School of Engineering through the Engineering Student Council. These groups are not guaranteed space on the Lawn, and if space is available elsewhere, it is sometimes restricted to smaller spaces on Grounds. UGS is no different in value to the University; there is no need for a significantly larger space — no less a space in the heart of the University’s Academical Village.

Many student groups desire space for their organizations on Grounds, and I’m not denying the Guide Service is any different in this respect. However, for the organization’s intended purpose, there is no need for a space larger than a small room. Space is essential for archiving organizational history, but excessive space nonsensically taken over by one group of individuals fosters an exclusive community and has the impact of making the Lawn even more elusive for other students.

This issue has been raised before by fourth-year College student Nazar Aljassar, who wrote a column two years ago about why UGS should vacate its space. A guide himself, he faced criticism from the UGS community, and since then, the University and UGS have been quiet about the issue of Pavilion VIII. UGS should take the high road — it shouldn’t be hard for them to understand why their ownership of a pavilion is problematic. In the same way they strive to welcome visitors to the University, they should cultivate a welcoming environment for current students by relinquishing the space to the greater community. I respect many of the individuals whom I know in this organization, and I recognize their dedication to the University. However, I do see the misuse of Pavilion VIII as a threat to one of our school’s highest values — the power and inclusivity of all students at the University.

Naveed Tavakol is a fourth-year Engineering student.