“Scream Queens” goes from bad to worse

The show’s poorly-crafted second installment proves disappointing

“Scream Queens” was never the apex of clever humor, but the second season reached a new low. While the raunchy humor and sinister premise of the first season were entertaining enough to convince Fox to renew the program, unfortunately, the second season provides more misses than hits.

Fans thought that “Scream Queens” might take after producer Ryan Murphy’s other show, “American Horror Story,” by revamping the storyline every year. This change of storyline did not happen — the second season of “Scream Queens” follows the exact same premise as the first. Like the first season, the second season began with a mysterious event in the 80s, which featured a baby who would grow up to avenge a parental death and contained a generous handful of masked serial killers. However, within the second season, only the location is different and swaps a sorority house for a secluded hospital and a radioactive swamp.

The storyline quickly becomes repetitive as most of the murder victims are disposable patients who are killed in the same episode they are introduced. The second season fails to evolve any of the returning characters, despite a supposed three-year time jump. While the season is funny at times, it's hard to remember the plot from episode to episode, as the storylines rarely build consistently. Season two lacks both the solid humor and shocking twists of the first season.

There were high hopes for new additions to the cast, with John Stamos and Taylor Lautner portraying Dr. Brock Holt and Dr. Cassidy Cascade, respectively. However, Lautner’s character is forgettable, and the main focus is on Stamos, who plays the hospital’s heartthrob. He is consistently referred to as “Dr. Hot” by the young medical students, which is uncomfortable and, frankly, a little creepy.

One of the brighter spots of the season comes from Jamie Lee Curtis’ portrayal of Cathy Munsch, a former college dean and love interest of Dr. Holt. Curtis’ gray-haired, foul-mouthed, devious and promiscuous Munsch remains one of the only consistently funny characters throughout the season.

The last two episodes help to solidify the season as everyone starts to put the pieces together and identify the serial killers. Though these episodes are somewhat more bearable than the previous chaotic slew, they can’t make up for an overall poor season. The finale wraps up most of the characters’ storylines, but ends on one final twist. Whether this cliffhanger ending foreshadows a possible third season remains to be seen. If “Scream Queens” manages not to get cancelled after this season, it will not have many viewers left.