'How to Get Away with Murder' finale reveals more skeletons in closets, blood on hands

Third season continues on dark, dramatic path

<p>The double-episode finale of “How to Get Away with Murder” brought answers to many long-awaited questions.</p>

The double-episode finale of “How to Get Away with Murder” brought answers to many long-awaited questions.

After teasing viewers all season, the double-episode finale of “How to Get Away with Murder” brought answers to many long-awaited questions. The last few episodes left quite a bit to be desired and while much is packed into the 80 minutes, it’s hard to keep all of the storylines straight.

The latter half of this season focused on jailed and defeated Annalise Keating (Viola Davis) leaving her staff and students anxiously running in circles as they tried to solve problems much too complex for them. Thankfully, the finale brings her release from jail, and the old Keating is back with her hair done, makeup on and a ready-to-fight attitude. With Keating back in charge, the finale picks up the pace as the group begins to pin down details needed to fight her case and piece together the mystery of Wes Gibbins’ (Alfred Enoch) murder.

At this point it’s hard to keep track of who hasn’t committed a heinous crime, but the cast’s superb acting and raw emotion keep the show from feeling too far-fetched. Viola Davis blows everyone out of the water with her character’s reinvigorated comeback, while Jack Falahee proves a close second with his tortured Connor Walsh. Walsh, a complicated and hard to read character, plays a major part in the finale by coming forward with an emotional confession of his own.

And of course, the season wouldn’t be complete without a continuation of the bizarre romance that is Michaela (Aja Naomi King) and Asher (Matt McGorry). As surprising as it is that the two characters are still together, Michaela and Asher provide the only example of a healthy romance this show has ever seen, as well as some much-needed comic relief.

The biggest drawback to the finale, as well as the season itself, is Laurel (Karla Souza). This is nothing against Souza’s acting, Laurel is simply an insufferable character whose self-absorbed antics bungle narratives and detract from a normally smooth show. Believing herself desperately in love with Wes — despite the fact she only dated him for a few months after her long-time love interest Frank (Charlie Weber) ditched her — she blames everyone else for his death. Camera time is wasted on her yelling, crying and annoyingly stupid decisions.

In its last moments, the finale reveals the details of Gibbins’ murder, but the final picture is more confusing than ever. While the revelation Gibbins’ fate is as dark and disturbing as one would expect, this storyline is either a window into a larger, intricate narrative or a complete cop-out.

As the most likeable member of the Keating Five, Wes brought the crew together and frequently gave them a sense of purpose. Second only to Annalise, Wes was the show’s most complex and fleshed out character. Killing off Wes — and justifying his death in this way — is an odd direction to take the show. Unless the showrunners have something much better in store for next season, this plot decision could cost them many fans.