Student candidates answer the important questions

Olivia Pope is popular, no one likes 'The Last Airbender'

<p>Survey says, Student Council presidential candidates identify strongly with Olivia Pope from "Scandal."</p>

Survey says, Student Council presidential candidates identify strongly with Olivia Pope from "Scandal."

With elections season underway, the Arts and Entertainment section asked Student Council presidential candidates and Class Council presidential candidates questions regarding their tastes in movies and first dates, among other topics.

What’s the worst movie you’ve ever seen?

Malcolm Stewart, Fourth-Year Trustees presidential candidate: Worst movie I have ever seen is easily “The Shining.” The movie is often brought up as a horror-film classic, and I truly am not a fan. It wasn’t scary, and it was just weird and so random and full of plot holes and just overall disappointing.

Galen Green, Third-Year Class Council presidential candidate: Not going to lie — not a big movie buff but wasn't a huge fan of “The Last Airbender.”

Sarah Lewis, Second-Year Class Council presidential candidate: The worst movie I've ever seen is definitely “The Last Airbender.” I grew up on “Avatar: The Last Airbender,” so when the movie came out, I was pretty pumped, and I honestly teared up a little — okay, maybe a lot — when they pronounced every character's name wrong. Quite tragic.

What’s the most embarrassing song you secretly love?

Kelsey Kilgore, Student Council presidential candidate: “True Friend” by Hannah Montana.

Floyd Black, Third-Year Class Council presidential candidate: “Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift.

Omar Elhaj, Second-Year Class Council presidential candidate: I will sing along to “A Thousand Miles” [by Vanessa Carlton] all day, any day.

Lewis: The absolute most embarrassing song I listen to is “California Dreamin” by MattyB. Do I occasionally listen to a 14-year-old rapper and love it? Yes. Yes I do.

Sarah Kenny, Student Council presidential candidate: “Come Clean” by Hilary Duff, which was on the first CD my sisters and I ever got as kids. Not that embarrassed by it, though, because who can hate on Duff?

Other than “Titanic,” what’s the best movie to watch on a first date?

Green: “The Lion King” — if your partner doesn't like it, you know it’s not going to work out.

Stewart: “50 First Dates” because you can use it as an opportunity at the end to say, “One date down, 49 to go.”

Johnny Pace, Third-Year Class Council presidential candidate: Watching the entire “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy is a great way to spend quality time with a new date. Picking the right movie can be stressful, but watching this 11-hour masterpiece will ensure that you get to know [the other person] very well.

Kenny: I can tell you from experience a very bad first date movie — “Spring Breakers.” Still makes me cringe. Funny is an absolute priority for this category.

Black: I wouldn’t know. I’ve never been on a first date.

If you were a character from a popular TV show, who would you be?

Kilgore: Olivia Pope.

Kenny: My loves of popcorn and red wine, coupled with my aspirations to be a lawyer lead me to say Olivia Pope from “Scandal.” I’m nowhere near as intense or brave as her, but she is a phenomenal female figure in media.

Elhaj: SpongeBob Squarepants, of course.

Who’s the most famous person you’ve ever met? Were they mean to you?

Lewis: You'd think that by the time I got to college I would have met someone insanely famous like Zac Efron or El Chapo. However, the most famous person I've ever met has two wheels and a Mohawk helmet.

Pace: I actually met the myth himself, Wheelie Kid, last week, and despite having a packed schedule of wheelies and jamming out, he was generous enough to show me a thing or two about popping the sickest wheelies. Celebrities can be so inspiring sometimes.

Green: I can't say I have met too many famous people, but I did get the chance to meet Katie Ledecky, who holds multiple world records in the swimming world. She was super nice — even though she had just creamed me in a race.

Black: President Obama. The exchange was brief but he was very nice.

Kilgore: Joe Harris — I planned our wedding immediately following.

If you had an unlimited budget, who would you get to perform on opening weekend to distract the most kids from Block Party?

Elhaj: Nothing beats my girl Taylor Swift. Quality music, awesome times — I would take her concert over Block Party anytime.

Stewart: With an unlimited budget, why would I get one artist? I’d start the night getting everyone hype with performances from Lil Wayne, Chance the Rapper and Drake then mellow the night out a bit and catch everyone in their feels with John Legend and Adele, and then end the night on the highest of notes with the Queen B herself, Beyoncé.

Pace: I would have to get J. Cole again. I heard not a single person went to Block Party this year.

All candidates running for Student Council President or a Class Council presidency were contacted for comment.