Virginia falls to No. 16 Miami

Cavaliers lose in defensive battle

<p>Junior guard J'Kyra Brown led the Cavaliers in scoring, contributing 15 points.</p>

Junior guard J'Kyra Brown led the Cavaliers in scoring, contributing 15 points.

The Virginia women’s basketball team (15-9, 4-7 ACC) could not mount a comeback against No. 16 Miami (18-6, 7-4 ACC) Thursday, losing 63-52 on the road.

The game was a defensive struggle, with both teams struggling to find offensive momentum throughout the game. Virginia only mustered 18 points in the first half to Miami’s 26, as they were hampered by the turnover bug that hurt them against Duke last week. Both teams got going a little more in the second half, but Miami rode out a strong start to a victory.

Virginia shot only 34.4 percent from the field against the stifling Miami defense, while turning the ball over 23 times. Junior guard J’Kyra Brown continued her solid recent offensive output with a team-leading 15 points, while junior forward Lauren Moses put up a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

The Hurricanes were led by senior guards Jessica Thomas and Adreienne Motely, who each contributed 15 points, while senior forward Keyona Hayes posted a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds.

The loss drops Virginia’s ACC record to 4-7 with five remaining games before the ACC Tournament. The Cavaliers take on Wake Forest Sunday at home for their next matchup. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. at John Paul Jones Arena.