Jun 23, 2017

SPORTS

​Virginia announces Marial Shayok, Jarred Reuter will transfer

spmbballtransferrdizon

Virginia basketball announced that both junior guard Marial Shayok and sophomore forward Jarred Reuter plan to transfer from Virginia this offseason.

Wednesday afternoon, Virginia basketball announced that both junior guard Marial Shayok and sophomore forward Jarred Reuter plan to transfer from Virginia this offseason. Neither has announced where they plan to play for the upcoming season.

Reuter averaged 3.8 points and 2.2 rebounds per game off the bench during his sophomore season, averaging 10.8 minutes played per game. Reuter was known for his energy and rebounding prowess, although he struggled to find a spot in the rotation at times.

Shayok — a key contributor with 23 points in Virginia’s NCAA tournament win over UNC- Wilmington — averaged 8.9 points and 20.6 minutes per game. He was one of Virginia’s best offensive players at times this season and was adept at creating his own shots.

"Marial [Shayok] and Jarred [Reuter] informed me today that they are leaving the Virginia basketball program and are looking to transfer to other schools," Bennett said. "I thank Marial and Jarred for their hard work and contributions to our program, and wish them success in the future."

This news comes on the heels of former junior forward Austin Nichols declaring for the draft, meaning Virginia officially has three scholarships available for the upcoming season. These openings come late in the recruitment process, as signing day was Feb. 1.

Redshirt freshmen forward Jay Huff and guard DeAndre Hunter will likely be tasked with helping fill the roles vacated by Reuter and Shayok.

Published March 22, 2017 in M Basketball, Sports