Women’s golf finishes tenth at Bryan National Collegiate

Day one of the 2016 NCAA Golf Championships at Eugene Country Club in Eugene, Oregon on May 20, 2016 (Eric Evans Photography)

The Virginia women’s golf team finished in tenth place out of 18 teams this past weekend at the Bryan National Collegiate tournament in Browns Summit, N.C. The Cavaliers shot a combined three-round score of 897 (33-over).

Senior captain Lauren Diaz-Yi led the team with a score of 223 (7-over) to finish tied for 28th place individually out of 96 golfers. Sophomore Morgan Gonzales also had a solid weekend for Virginia, shooting a 225 (9-over) to finish tied for 39th individually.

Due to weather conditions, the tournament’s first round was pushed back from Friday to Saturday. The competing teams played both the first and second round Saturday and the final round Sunday.

The Bryan National Collegiate was the Cavaliers’ final regular season competition of the spring. The team will next compete in the ACC Championships, which begins April 13 in Pawleys Island, S.C.

It will be the first time the tournament is played at the Reserve Golf Club in Pawleys Island. The ACC Championship was previously hosted in Greensboro, N.C. for the past nine years, but the conference elected to move the tournament site in response to the controversial North Carolina House Bill 2 law.

Virginia will look to win the ACC Championship for the third consecutive year. However, despite being the two-time defending champion, the Cavaliers enter the tournament as underdogs. Based off the latest rankings on golfstat.com, Virginia is ranked ninth out of the 12 ACC teams.

The Cavaliers enter the ACC Championship with players experienced in performing well in the postseason. In last year’s ACC Championship, Diaz-Yi and Gonzales finished individually in fourth place and tied for 14th place, respectively, and sophomore Anna Redding finished tied for fifth place.