​U.Va. vice provost for global affairs appointed provost at University of Richmond

Jeffrey Legro named Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs

<p>Legro was involved with the creation of the Global Studies major, starting a global internship program and establishing a University office in China.</p>

Legro was involved with the creation of the Global Studies major, starting a global internship program and establishing a University office in China.

Jeffrey W. Legro, a politics professor and the vice provost for global affairs at the University, has been named the next provost and vice president for academic affairs at the University of Richmond. His appointment will begin on July 1.

Legro has been a University faculty member since 1997, when he was an associate professor in the politics department. He later went on to chair the politics department and Legro also co-founded the “Governing America in a Global Era” program at the University’s Miller Center.

According to Ronald Crutcher, president of University of Richmond, Legro’s understanding of higher education and liberal arts made him ideal for the provost position.

“Dr. Legro emerged as our finalist with an exceptional skill set for the position of provost,” Crutcher said in a statement. “He is an accomplished scholar and academic leader who brings a wealth of relevant experience to the provost position.”

Legro’s work has extended well beyond Grounds. He has traveled to China, the United Kingdom, Germany and Russia as a representative of the University, and was a Fulbright-Nehru Scholar in New Delhi. He has authored several books, including “Rethinking the World: Great Power Strategies and International Order” and “Cooperation Under Fire: Anglo-German Restraint During World War II.”

As vice provost of global affairs, he was involved with the creation of the Global Studies major, starting a global internship program and establishing a University office in China.

Legro said his experience at the University will be a big asset to him as he moves into his new role, particularly experiences with colleagues and in the classroom.

“I've learned about how to think about research across departments and across schools, how to think about how research and the life of the University connects to the world outside … And in general just how to better understand the needs of different disciplines and different schools,” Legro said.

Executive Vice President and Provost Tom Katsouleas issued a statement to senior leadership at the University following the announcement of Legro’s appointment.

“I am delighted that Jeff has the opportunity to serve as provost at the University of Richmond, where he can bring his insights and exceptional leadership skills to bear.” Katsouleas said. “I am of course sad that such a talented and unique individual and friend will be leaving the University; we will miss working with him.”

Though Legro is very excited for his new position, Legro said he will miss his colleagues within the Provost’s office as well as faculty and students at the University.

“Well, what I'll miss most about U.Va. is it's always the people,” Legro said. “It is an amazing place, an incredibly unique place, and it can’t be replicated and so I’ll miss that.”