No. 4 field​ hockey​ ​finishes​ ​regular​ ​season​ ​with​ ​win​ ​over​ ​Old​ ​Dominion

sp-ColleenNorair-RDizon

Sophomore midfielder Colleen Norair finished offer her song regular season in Virginia's final game against Old Dominion. 

Richard Dizon | Cavalier Daily

The No. 4 Virginia field​ ​hockey​ ​team​ ​​(15-3,​ ​5-1​ ​ACC)​ ​achieved​ ​a​ ​close​ ​4-2​ ​victory​ ​against​ ​the​ ​Old Dominion​ ​Lady​ ​Monarchs​ ​(8-9,​ ​5-2​ ​Big​ ​East)​ ​Sunday afternoon.​ ​This​ ​game​ helped the Cavaliers finish off their ​regular​ ​season​ ​with​ ​one​ ​of​ ​the​ ​best​ ​records​ ​in​ ​the​ ​program’s​ ​recent​ ​history​ ​and an​ ​ACC​ ​regular​ ​season​ ​title.

The​ ​Cavaliers’​ ​four​ ​goals​ ​were​ ​scored​ ​by​ ​four​ ​different​ ​players,​ ​showing​ ​off​ ​the​ ​versatility that​ ​the​ ​Virginia​ ​offense​ ​has​ ​been​ ​working​ ​on​ ​for​ ​much​ ​of​ ​the​ ​season.​ ​The​ ​Cavaliers’ dominant first-half performance​ ​allowed​ ​them​ ​to​ ​outshoot​ ​the​ ​Lady​ ​Monarchs​ ​15-2​ ​and jump​ ​ahead​ ​4-0. However,​ ​ ​a​ ​second​-​half​ ​push​ ​by​ ​Old​ ​Dominion​ ​nearly​ ​​brought​ ​the​ ​game back​ ​to​ ​a​ ​tie.​ ​Virginia’s​ ​defense​ ​held,​ ​though,​ ​and​ ​the​ ​Cavaliers​ ​pulled​ ​off​ ​an​ ​important victory.

This​ ​loss​ ​puts​ ​the​ ​Monarchs​ ​under​ ​.500,​ ​greatly​ ​hurting​ ​the​ ​chance​ ​of​ ​a​ ​postseason​ ​run and​ ​capping​ ​off​ ​an​ ​underwhelming​ ​season​ ​for​ ​such​ ​an​ ​illustrious​ ​program.​ ​Old​ ​Dominion still​ ​holds​ ​the​ ​record​ ​for​ ​NCAA​ ​championship​ ​wins,​ ​with​ ​nine,​ ​but​ ​has​ ​been​ ​unable​ ​to​ ​clench the​ ​national​ ​title​ ​for​ ​the​ ​past​ ​16​ ​seasons.

After a first-round bye, the​ ​Cavaliers​ ​will​ ​next​ ​return​ ​to​ ​Louisville​ ​on​ ​Friday​ ​for​ ​a​ ​rematch​ ​against​ ​either​ ​No.​ ​13 Wake​ ​Forest​ ​(12-6,​ ​3-3​ ​ACC)​ ​or​ ​No.​ ​6​ ​North​ ​Carolina​ ​(13-4,​ ​3-3​ ​ACC)​ ​in​ ​the​ semifinals ​of the​ ​ACC​ ​tournament.​ ​The​ ​game​ ​will​ ​take​ ​place​ ​at​ ​Trager​ ​Stadium​ ​in​ ​Louisville​ ​at​ ​12​ ​p.m. and​ ​will​ ​be​ ​broadcast​ ​on​ ​the​ ​ACC’s​ ​Regional​ ​Sports​ ​Networks​ ​and​ ​on​ ​the​ ​ACC​ ​Network Extra. 

This​ ​loss​ ​puts​ ​the​ ​Monarchs​ ​under​ ​.500,​ ​greatly​ ​hurting​ ​the​ ​chance​ ​of​ ​a​ ​postseason​ ​run, and​ ​capping​ ​off​ ​an​ ​underwhelming​ ​season​ ​for​ ​such​ ​an​ ​illustrious​ ​program.​ ​Old​ ​Dominion still​ ​holds​ ​the​ ​record​ ​for​ ​NCAA​ ​championship​ ​wins,​ ​with​ ​nine,​ ​but​ ​has​ ​been​ ​unable​ ​to​ ​clench the​ ​national​ ​title​ ​for​ ​the​ ​past​ ​17​ ​seasons.

The​ ​Cavaliers​ ​will​ ​next​ ​return​ ​to​ ​Louisville​ ​on​ ​Friday​ ​for​ ​a​ ​rematch​ ​against​ ​either​ ​No.​ ​13 Wake​ ​Forest​ ​(12-6,​ ​3-3​ ​ACC)​ ​or​ ​No.​ ​6​ ​North​ ​Carolina​ ​(13-4,​ ​3-3​ ​ACC)​ ​in​ ​the​ ​first​ ​round​ ​of the​ ​ACC​ ​tournament.​ ​The​ ​game​ ​will​ ​take​ ​place​ ​at​ ​Trager​ ​Stadium​ ​in​ ​Louisville​ ​at​ ​12​ ​p.m. and​ ​will​ ​be​ ​broadcast​ ​on​ ​the​ ​ACC’s​ ​Regional​ ​Sports​ ​Networks​ ​and​ ​on​ ​the​ ​ACC​ ​Network Extra. 

related stories