Women’s basketball loses in nailbiter to Georgia

<p>Sophomore guard Jocelyn Willoughby tried to keep Virginia within reach in the fourth quarter, going on a solo seven-point run to start the quarter.</p>

Sophomore guard Jocelyn Willoughby tried to keep Virginia within reach in the fourth quarter, going on a solo seven-point run to start the quarter.

The Virginia women’s basketball team lost their second of three games this season after losing down the stretch to the Georgia Bulldogs, 64-61, Thursday night. 

The Virginia offense was led by sophomore guards Dominique Toussaint and Jocelyn Willoughby, who combined for 35 points. Both players were instrumental in helping Virginia cut into the 14-point deficit the team faced early in the fourth quarter. 

They were able to reduce it to one point with eight seconds remaining in the game but were unable to deliver the game-winning shot in the waning seconds.

One of the big issues for Virginia was finding an answer for Georgia junior forward Caliya Robinson, who had 15 points and nine rebounds. Her ability to display aggression while gaining rebounds made a key difference in the game. Last season, Robinson was selected for the SEC All-Defensive Team and was second on the team in scoring with 13.7 points per game. 

As a team, Virginia finished the game shooting 40.4 percent but was ineffective at the line, hitting 13 of 20. With additional film study and practice, this Virginia team should bounce back and make necessary adjustments moving forward.

Virginia’s next game will be Sunday at 2 p.m. on the road against Dayton.