The Silk Thai family is back and better than ever

Reinventing the way we eat Thai

<p>My plate arrived with a large pile of drunken noodles mixed with fresh vegetables. &nbsp;</p>

My plate arrived with a large pile of drunken noodles mixed with fresh vegetables.  

Being the new kids on the block can be tough, but the staff at Silk Thai Restaurant are eager to welcome their customers. Ever since their soft opening in December of last year, the staff has been working hard to make their restaurant a household name. Their friendly faces make all who dine with them feel comfortable and cared for. For classic Thai food in a non-traditional environment, there is no need to look any further than Silk Thai. 

Located on Fontaine Avenue, Silk Thai is an easy walk from Alderman Road dorms and definitely a nice change from dining hall food. The restaurant can be easily spotted because of its towering sign that simply reads “Silk,” which symbolizes the comfort and ease I felt while dining here. 

Silk Thai is owned by TK Chin, who is the nephew of the Thai 99 owner. After Thai 99 closed at this Charlottesville location, TK Chin opened Silk Thai in its place and completely revamped its look. They painted the exterior and added a bit more peculiar decor to the walls. The outside of the building looks welcoming with its new blue color and neon “Open” sign that invites any passers-by to drop in. 

Inside Silk Thai, that same homey feeling persists. The walls are adorned with different antiques, and there is an interesting mix of furniture. Somehow this collection of items works together and creates a comfortable ambiance perfect for enjoying a delicious meal. Although it may seem miscellaneous, the decor is truly an adventure for the eyes. 

With the furniture ranging from white upholstered chairs to patterned benches, there are endless options for places to sit. You could even take a seat at the bar and enjoy your meal with one of the many Cavalier sports games they constantly have playing in the background.

In regards to service, Silk Thai does everything right. The servers were very proactive in checking on each table and making sure everyone was completely satisfied. There was never a point where my water was empty or I wondered where my waitress was. Silk Thai’s staff are genuinely concerned with the well-being of their customers, and they are open to forming personal connections with the people they are serving. 

During my visit, an employee named Tom stopped to make sure our meal was satisfactory. During my stay in this restaurant, I was able to learn the story of Silk Thai from him, and now I will always seek out Tom in my future visits. The service made the entire experience even more enjoyable. 

Ultimately, the food was outstanding. As an avid lover of drunken noodles, I was ecstatic to see that they were on the menu. Be mindful of the two peppers next to that dish, however, since those are definitely there as a warning — Silk Thai does not hold back on the heat. The spice and flavor of these dishes reflected the taste of authentic Thai food. 

My plate arrived with a large pile of drunken noodles mixed with fresh vegetables. The lightness of these vegetables mixed with the spice of the large noodles created a perfect balance of flavor. Flavor ran through the course as soon as the vegetables mixed with the spicy chili sauce of the noodles. These drunken noodles with vegetables came with even more than the menu described, and these “fresh cut wide noodles” were enough to fill me up and leave me with some to take home. 

Although I was initially caught off guard by the eclectic decor, the food reminded me that I was eating authentic Thai food. Even better than the taste was the portion size. The price is worth the amount of food you are served at this restaurant. If you’re looking to split a dish, one entree is more than enough to do the trick. Or, if you are a leftovers kind of person, that can be easily accommodated as well. 

Depending on who you are, dessert is a must when dining out. Dessert just so happens to be another thing where Silk Thai excels. The plate I was served looked like a piece of art — piled high with ice cream and crunchy banana rolls. It was so good I could have finished the entire thing, even after eating that massive plate of drunken noodles. If Silk Thai’s goal is to have their customers clean their plates of food, it is certainly very doable considering how tasty it is. There is always room left for more at Silk Thai. 

If you were a fan of Thai 99 and are still distraught over its closing, there is no longer a need to fret. Silk Thai is here to reclaim the name its former version made for itself. Serving classic Thai dishes is what they have come back to do, and the people of Charlottesville get to experience the return. 

This restaurant is the perfect place to order more for less. You’ll leave this place with new friendships and a full stomach. You might even have a sudden appreciation for cluttered walls. The character behind this restaurant and its staff make each experience there all the more special.