Kessler withdraws request for anniversary rally permit

The judge was set to rule on Kessler’s motion the same afternoon

Kessler withdrew his motion for a preliminary injunction on Tuesday afternoon.

Jason Kessler — the leading white nationalist organizer for the deadly Unite the Right rally last August — withdrew Tuesday afternoon his motion to force the City of Charlottesville to grant him a permit for an anniversary rally on Aug. 12. The judge was set to rule on Kessler’s motion the same afternoon.

Last December, the City denied Kessler’s request for a permit on public safety grounds. Kessler sued in March, alleging his First and Fourteenth Amendment rights were violated. The trial was set for April 2019, but Kessler filed for a preliminary injunction — a temporary order by the court until the trial can be held — in late June. 

In a separate suit in the Charlottesville Circuit Court in July, Kessler signed a consent decree agreeing to make “best efforts” to prevent armed groups from coming to Charlottesville.

Kessler has confirmed an anniversary rally outside the White House in Washington, D.C. on Aug. 12. It is unclear whether he will orchestrate unsanctioned demonstrations in Charlottesville.

Kessler did not immediately respond for comment.