County school vandalized by racist graffiti

"Monticello Loves to Hate" was among the racist and threatening statements spray-painted on the large sidewalk in front of Monticello High School's central entrance early yesterday morning.

According to Albemarle County Police Sgt. Dan Blake, the graffiti included a picture of a Nazi flag with a smoking gun next to it and a bullet flying through the flag.

Four racist and threatening statements were also sprayed on the sidewalk, Blake said.

"The drawing was pretty detailed," he said. "The rest were just vulgar statements."

According to Blake, a Monticello building services employee reported the vandalism to police shortly after 6 a.m.

School officials and police covered up the graffiti with plywood in the morning before students arrived at school.

The graffiti was sandblasted during the day while students were in class, however, a swastika and part of a gun were still visible at the end of the school day.

Police said that while they do not now have any suspects, an investigation is underway.

Blake said the two-year-old Albemarle County high school of over 900 students has never had a history of racial tensions.

"This is the first time we've encountered anything of this nature and the first time we've seen any serious vandalism," he said.

Monticello High School Principal Dr. Irving C. Jones Sr. could not be reached for comment.