University maintains top spot for Virginia graduation rates

According to state college graduation rates in Virginia, the University once again had a higher rate of graduation than other Virginia colleges.

Last year 92 percent of University fourth-year students walked the Lawn. The graduation rate in 1998 was also 92 percent.

The ability of the University to produce such an impressive graduate percentage is a combination of various factors, University officials said.

The immediate answer is that the University "brings in good students serious about education," Dean of Admissions John A. Blackburn said.

Blackburn pointed to the Office of Admissions' increased selectivity of applicants in recent years as one of the key components in aiding in higher graduation rates.

In the different University schools there are also advisers and support services to help students deal with academic problems, Architecture Dean for Administration Elizabeth Fortune said.

"Relationships between faculty and students is a key ingredient," Fortune said.

Like Blackburn, Fortune pointed to the high quality of students at the University who tend to be "mature and knowledgeable."

While the University as a whole maintains a 92-percent graduation rate, each individual school compiles its own graduation data.

The College, the Engineering School and the Architecture School all have boasted high graduation rates for the past six years.

Ninety percent of students who have been enrolled in the Engineering School since their first year graduated between 1991 and 1997.

For the same time period, the College boasted a 92-percent graduation rate, while Architecture maintained a 90- percent graduation rate - all for students who matriculated their first year.

The efforts of academic deans and support groups in different schools help graduation rates, Asst. College Dean Carol Gutman said.

"There are resources available to help support high and timely graduation rates," she said.

Student athletes have their own program to maintain their academics.

The Academic Support Program relies on three academic coordinators who focus on the first-year athlete's transition to University life as well as college-level sports, Director of Academic Affairs Richard McGuire said.

The program teaches student athletes time management, including scheduling classes, practice and travel time, McGuire said.

He added that the Academic Support Program merely "compliments the other academic support services that exist at the University."

"Athletes are also encouraged by the Athletic Department to interact with the deans in their own school, such as the College, Engineering, or Architecture," McGuire said.

As a result of the Academic Support Program, there is a high staying rate and graduation rate among first-year athletes, McGuire said.