Cavs look to boost game vs. Naturals

When the Cavalier basketball team faces the Nantucket Nectar Naturals tonight at 7:30 at University Hall, it will be trying to answer some important questions, one of which is just who will start for the Cavs when the season opens Nov. 19 against Elon College.

With the addition of Virginia's touted recruiting class to nine returning lettermen and four returning starters, the competition for starting positions has been rough. But Asst. Coach Tom Herrion said because of the Cavs' deep roster this season, fans shouldn't expect to see the same five players starting every game.

"We're probably not going to get locked into a starting five for most of the year," Herrion said.

In its only other exhibition game, Virginia defeated the Down Under Bandits 97-67 Thursday, led by third-year guard Donald Hand with 16 points and second-year Adam Hall with 15. Third-year Keith Friel and second-year Chris Williams were the only other players to score in double-digits, with 11 points each. Though the Cavaliers put the game away in the first half, they did not allow their 30-point victory to make them complacent.

"We have a long way to go," Hand said. "There are some things we can improve on, such as defense."

Another obstacle the Cavs face is melding the four first years and two transfers with the returning members of the squad.

"We've got to gel a little better," center Colin Ducharme said. "But that will come."

Ducharme's performance Thursday was one of the brightest spots in the Cavaliers' performance. Along with a game-high 14 rebounds, he blocked five shots and took two offensive charges.

"He doesn't have to score for us right now," Herrion said. "That's a nice night."

Even with Ducharme's impressive showing, the Cavs have decided that he will not be enough for the Virginia frontcourt to stay competitive. That led to the Cavaliers' decision not to redshirt first-year Jason Rogers. Herrion said while the Staunton, Va., native might not play a huge role this year, he will add depth to the frontcourt.

"He's 6-foot-10, a wide body, blocks, rebounds, and his offense is really catching up," he said. "He's shown vast strides in his game."