Harris ignores black vote

A FIRST glance at Paul Harris' victory party shows what you might consider a surprising amount of diversity for a Republican event. The crowd that gathered in support of the only black Republican delegate in the state legislature appeared to indicate that the Republican Party had breached racial boundaries in Charlottesville and appealed not only to its traditional constituents - middle- and upper-class whites - but to blacks as well. But upon further examination, it became clear that marketing his political party to blacks is not on Harris' agenda.

When asked what emphasis he places on minority support in his campaign, Harris said that it doesn't matter who - racially - his supporters are. "I don't look at individuals and make any judgment based on the color of their skin," he said in a personal interview. Harris' legislative assistant, Jo Viglione, said that she "didn't target any particular group or think about [minority support] at all" during the campaign.

Harris is under no obligation to recruit minorities just because he's black. But he is in a unique position, which he readily admits by joking that as a black Republican, he's always a target in Richmond. Harris has a valuable opportunity to convince a traditionally liberal segment of American society that conservatism has something to offer them, but it's an opportunity he shows no interest in pursuing.

Harris is quick to describe his humble beginnings in a poor single-family household here in Charlottesville. In his acceptance speech, Harris recalled sleeping with his whole family in one bed and "wearing hand-me-down clothes from [his] cousins." Through his faith in God and his self-respect, Harris says he was able to overcome the obstacles placed before him. Harris is living the American dream, and it's an inspiring story.

Or it could be, if Harris showed poor minorities how his party could help them. But while he has performed admirably in his personal support of the less fortunate - tutoring the young, helping people move out of public housing, and representing many on a pro bono basis as an attorney - he hasn't made it a priority in Richmond.

Only one of Harris' top three issues in the legislature reflects campaign manager Bill Janis' claim that Harris "hasn't forgotten his roots." Including sheriffs in the Commonwealth's retirement plan and lessening traffic, while real issues, won't directly impact the poor people who are Harris' roots. Harris' third goal is to return all state lottery profits to local schools. While this is a valuable stand in support of education, it's not unique - the plan has wide bipartisan support.

But the strong showing of blacks at the victory party shows that Harris has in fact gained converts from the Democrats, right? This theory is hard to back up when not a single minority present said that Harris inspired them to change parties. The majority of blacks present were Harris' relatives, and even some of them couldn't claim to be true Republicans. "I'm just here because of Paul Harris - and because the Republican Party has money," Harris' mother-in-law Arnida Lamont half-joked.

Other blacks in attendance identified with conservatism in general, and with Harris because he fits that mold. Republican supporter Ronny Carlton said that "conservatives offer [blacks] a better opportunity through free enterprise and individual pride." Despite the apparently high percentage of blacks in attendance, Harris can't take credit for diversifying his party.

A weakness in the image of the Republican Party is that they are seen as appealing only to those who are well-to-do and white. Harris is in a better position than most of his conservative colleagues to change that characterization, and yet he doesn't care to try. It's an opportunity lost, and a victory that's only bittersweet.

(Jennifer Schaum is a Cavalier Daily associate editor.)